Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6 2.4SE Auto ~ Loss of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Default 1999 A6 2.4SE Auto ~ Loss of coolant

I have just returned to an Audi after making the 'fatal' mistake of buying an MG ZT190+ and then they went bust! doh!.....

I traded in my A4 for the ZT and wish I never had, but anyway ....

I'm back in an Audi A6 this time and I love the drive and refinement, can't beat it, BUT

I bought this car second hand. Looked good, drives nice, paperwork all in order and maintained bt Audi dealers regularly. It's due a service anytime now and I have a couple of worries... You might be able to shed some light.

1. I bought this 5 days ago and this morning, the coolant warning lamp lit up. I immediately switched off the engine and popped the bonnet and sure enough it was so low, it was only just above the pipe. It was well below minimum, so I put approx 3/4 litre of water in.

*I am no mechanic, but cars need water, I know this much. I also immediately thought doh! head gasket...... I have looked around and it seems others have had issues with coolant escaping as vapour from a faulty cap, so I am hoping for this. The coolant seesm clean and there is no obvious leaks so I will keep an eye out over the next couple of days, but any thoughts on this?

2. My previous Audi was geared. This one is auto and the change of gears is lovely, really smooth. It has tiptronic which all works a treat, but a niggly concern is that I can feel vibrations through the accelerator pedal when travelling over bumpy roads. If I hit a pot hole in the road, I can feel a sort of mild wobble in the pedal. Is this normal?

any input welcome. I realise it's one for the garage, but it's nice to be aware of possible scenarios' other Audi owners might have experienced.

Regards
Justin