Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6 Memory Seat Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A6 Memory Seat Not Working

I have a 1999 A6 2.8. Either the memory seats are not working, or I can not figure out how to use them. With the "STOP" button in either the up or down position, it will not work.

The owners manual says
"The memory function is switched off when the "STOP" button is pressed. The word OFF lights up if the headlights are switched on"
I do not see anything change when I press the button. Where is this OFF light at?

Also, my dome light does not turn on when I open any of the four doors regardless of the switch position. It will turn on manually when switched to the "|" position. The lights under the dash do turn on when a front door is opened. The lights under the front seats also turn on when a rear door is opened.

I was wondering if there is a connection between the memory seats and the dome light since both rely on knowing if the door is opened. However, since the lowere lights do turn on properly when a door is opened, it doesn't seem probable.

Also, when I used VAG-COM to scan for codes I did get two regarding the electrical, and am not sure if they relate to the problem:

Code:
Address 35     -------------------------------------------------------
    Controller: 4B0 962 258 J  
    Component: Central Lock/Alarm  D32
    Coding: 16236
    Shop #: WSC 02325
 2 Faults Found:
 01565 - Luggage Compartment Light (W3)
             29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
 01570 - Turn-Off Delay: Terminal 15
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1999 A6 Memory Seat Not Working

I have a '97 A6 Avant. I cannot say for sure if our memory seat works the same. I do not have an "OFF" light. When my red ON/OFF switch is up, the system is off. To set, you have the system on (of course), then press the memory button and the storage number simultaneously.

Hope this helps. Hopefully, someone with a '99 A6 will chime in.

Brian

Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear

Make sure you set your mirrors as well. Each memory position remembers both seating and mirror positioning (outside only).

Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I contacted Shokan and they'll sell me a seat memory switch for $65 used. Does anyone know if this is the unit that actually controls the memory seats, or is this simply the buttons and there is a control module some where else?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

I found a post on another forum regarding this, and they say it's a common problem.http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/632334.phtml

This one guy says you can remove the switch w/o removing the door pannel, the other says you need to.

anyone know for sure? I don't want to break anything, but if I can avoid taking the door off, there's that much less to break!

Also, my mirrors auto adjust down in reverse only sometimes. could this be related? Also, I think I looked in the owners manual and didn't see this listed as a feature, does anyone elses's mirrors auto adjust in reverese?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

I'd go for the plastic putty knife removal technique. Just go slow, be gentle, and don't fight it too much. LOTS of things come out this way.

If the corrosion looks minor, try cleaning it off with a pencil erasure or very mild emery cloth. You may be able to get out of having to replace the part.

The right sight rear view mirror will only tip down when you have the adjuster **** pointed to the right side. It does this to assist with parallel parking (so you don't ding your wheels on the curb).

Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

I got the switches out using a flathead screwdriver. I saw no corrosion near the connector so proceeded to disasemble the unit (used a T6 Torx). The circuit board is very brown where the pins solder to the board. I have included a pic!

Thanks for the info about the mirrors...couldn't find that in th owners manual.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21198/7CD95C38CE854DE18192D45AB4BC6AB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I have Access to AllData Pro online. It says that the memory seat is ODB enabled and can be scanned with a VAG 1551.

Here's the instructions, can this be done with VAG-COM?

With Manufacturer Scan Tool
Notes

Check DTC Memory (Function 02)

NOTE: Fault information displayed is not updated constantly, but rather only on starting On Board Diagnostic (OBD)/implementing function 05 "Erase DTC Memory".

Switch on printer by pressing PRINT key (lamp in key lights).
Implementing function "02 Check DTC Memory"

Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
Select function XX HELP

Press keys 0 and 2.
Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
02 - Check DTC Memory Q

Confirm entry with Q key.
The number of stored faults appears on the display.

X faults detected ->

The stored faults are consecutively displayed and printed out.

Consult Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) table with fault printed out and eliminate fault. See: Trouble Code Diagnostic Charts (Trouble Code Tables)
In the case of "No faults detected", program returns to start after pressing -> key.

No faults detected ->

Indicated on display:

Rapid data transfer
Enter address word XX HELP

If any other display appears:

Erase DTC Memory (function 05).
End Output (function 06). See: Scan Tool Testing\End Output (Function 06)
Unplug diagnostic connector.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:28 PM

you have shorted wires in the Luggage Compartment Light
Address 35 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 962 258 J
Component: Central Lock/Alarm D32
Coding: 16236
Shop #: WSC 02325
2 Faults Found:
01565 - Luggage Compartment Light (W3)
01570 - Turn-Off Delay: Terminal 15

Old 08-04-2006, 03:38 PM

there is also a fuse on plate 3 which is above the knee panel it has 8 relays and 11 fuses round the out side of the plate, #1 which is on the plate next to relay 1 is for the driver seat electrics

Quick Reply: 1999 A6 Memory Seat Not Working