Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 Bi-Turbo adjustment/mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7 Bi-Turbo adjustment/mod

hey everyone-
I am new to this forum. So please take it easy on me.
I am new the the audi world. I am looking to purchase a new 2.7 A6. I have a few questions i was hoping for some help on.
1.) Dealers lists their A6 2.7t as a Sline, when the body doesnt have the logo on it. What are the sure ways of telling if they are just lieing.
2.) I wanted to buy the audi because i have heard many niec things about them. but when i ran across the bi-turbo, i almost fell off my seat. My questions pertains to; Can i adjust the spooling of the turbos to start at different times? For instance, one starts at 1500Rpms, and the other starts at like 4000rpms, or w.e. My goals is not to get more horse power off the line, but to get better gas economy for local driving. And also, adjust the 2nd turbo to kick in on the highway for better highway mileage. Is this possible without spending a few G's on parts and such? i could understand a new ECU or whatever, but i don't want to have to replace the entire system.
3) if #2 is not possible without spending a lot of money, would it be better just to pick up a 05 with the 3.0 engine?
4) WTF? I cant find ANY 04's with a stick.

Thanks guys. I have researched #2 a bit, but i am not familiar with the terminology and such- so my hunting has strayed in many directions.

Sub~

Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SubCool
2.) I wanted to buy the audi because i have heard many niec things about them. but when i ran across the bi-turbo, i almost fell off my seat. My questions pertains to; Can i adjust the spooling of the turbos to start at different times? For instance, one starts at 1500Rpms, and the other starts at like 4000rpms, or w.e. My goals is not to get more horse power off the line, but to get better gas economy for local driving. And also, adjust the 2nd turbo to kick in on the highway for better highway mileage. Is this possible without spending a few G's on parts and such? i could understand a new ECU or whatever, but i don't want to have to replace the entire system.
Each turbo feeds the 3 cylinders on its side of the engine and works in parallel with the other turbo, not in series. That means that you cannot do what you asked; just not possible.
Originally Posted by SubCool
3) if #2 is not possible without spending a lot of money, would it be better just to pick up a 05 with the 3.0 engine?
I have a 2005 A4 3.0 Tip with 27k miles for sale if that is what you are looking for.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

S-Line on the 2002 had the BBS wheels stock.
S-Line on the 2004 had RS6 style rims as well as a lip on the back.

You can get a chip to make the turbos more aggressive or you could simply get a boost control and pretty much "turn off" the turbos.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

I thought the S-line had the lip spoiler (which could be added aftermarket) as well as the logo on the grill and steering wheel. Only other way is to have them pull the vehicle info from Audi using the VIN.

I may get my head snapped off for this, but I don't think Audi put MT6s in the A6 line after 2003, except for their recent RS series. They continue to put them in the A4s, which are considered more of a sports line.

As far as gas mileage, there is not much you can do to improve "around town" (I assume you mean local) gas mileage. It's a heavy car with the overhead of quattro. If you search the forum you'll find lots of commentary on mpg. I do mostly highway and get 22-25 mpg depending on speed. Around town it's tough to get better than 19-20 with easy acceleration. I also have a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 and the gas mileage is almost identical -- maybe 1-2 mpg better on the highway.

Keep in mind that the 2.7T is a relatively small engine and if you shift conservatively (under 2k) you don't spool the turbos very hard and you get decent gas mileage for a big, heavy car. If you give in to the impulse to floor it -- esp if chipped -- your mpg will suffer. I find the 3.0 to be very linear in it's power band: it does not pull anywhere near as hard as the 2.7T but still accelerates very well. The chipped 2.7T takes off like a rocket above 3500 rpm.

If you want to mod the A6, you're better off with a 2.7T but it can get expensive after the basic chip. If you want comfort and decent gas mileage with the ability to cruise all day over 100 mph, go with the 3.0l. In either case, reliability is a function of how it was maintained before you so get it checked out by a reputable shop.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the response

If you want to mod the A6, you're better off with a 2.7T but it can get expensive after the basic chip. If you want comfort and decent gas mileage with the ability to cruise all day over 100 mph, go with the 3.0l. In either case, reliability is a function of how it was maintained before you so get it checked out by a reputable shop.
I'm always a fan of modding. Right now my mods would push for Fuel Economy. Thats how this all got started. The newer 05 states it has more HP and torque... I thought having the dual turbo' would assist int he work load.