Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t magnaflow ?s

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t magnaflow ?s

Have an 01, that im putting some magnaflows on and was wondering if any one out there had good luck and what model they went with? also did you have to put tips on the new muffler or bend some pipes pre-mufflerso that the tips on the muffler are exposed? So and easier was of asking is do i buy a muffler with tips or without and order tips separate? looked quickly, and was thinking they were 2" is that right?
thanks for the help

Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Default RE: 2.7t magnaflow ?s

Well, depends on what you want. The stock mufflers pitch up a bit from back to front, then a short connector locates the tip under the faschia. THat means that the typical muffler with the attached tip is going to look a bit..odd..to some at least..because the tip is centered in the casing. So more of the muffler case will likely be visible from the sides and rear.
Your '01 probably doesn't have the OEM exposed tips. So thats a challenge.
If you want visible exhaust tips, you'll have to cut the rear faschia or retrofit one from a newer model. LLTek makes a conversion kit.
Regarding the type of muffler, you MIGHT get a dual-in/out muffler to fit where the stock center resonator is. Or two bullet mufflers. Otherwise, the main pipe is nestled into the floorpan pretty tightly, and not many aftermarket units will fit. The flowmaster Hushpowers are similar in shape to the OEM final mufflers, and a good shop might be able to orient them properly to fit the bill, if that's what you're into.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

I'm running 2.5 turbos back pipes to magnaflow mufflers. You will need to get the mufflers with an offset inlet and a center exit. Be warned that if you remove the upstream resonator and just have the magnaflows it will be very loud. I had to add upstream resonators to quiet mine down. If you want it to be quieter you can go with magnaflow's turbo XL mufflers. Not sure how they sound but apparantly they are quieter than their standard mufflers.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:33 AM

Did you ever get those pics and sounds/vids together?

Loud even with turbos- glad I didn't go that route on my 4.2...although the options available for under a grand seem likely to yield similar raucous results

Old 04-29-2007, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

My buddy forgot his camara when he came up. I'll see if I can find someone with a camara to run some video for me

Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear

I spoke to magnaflow. They told me I can use their street or race mufflers. I'm better off with the 2.5 inch piping because otherwise i lose bottom end. 14229 or 14226 mufflers will work all the same. Those are part numbers from their site if you didnt gather that.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM

SERIOUSLY? [X(][:-]

That's depressing!!!!!!!!!! WIth a 2.7T you are in NO jeopardy of losing bottom end. Even with premium turbos, they will produce enough backpressure on the engine side to retain low-end. They may alleviate some backpressure downstream, which would help your turbos spool faster, but the cats will be the controlling factor there.

He's right for normally aspirated motors, particularly those that rely on radical cam profiles, oversized exhaust can reduce cylinder scavenging, result in elevated temps and a loss of bottom end. ONe of my 928s fell on its face when I installed a straight-through system.
With a turbo though, your main consideration ought to be sound control- a given muffler will provide more sound dampening at smaller diameters, than larger.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

idk about the turbo and sound. turboed cars are more quiet than n/a cars so it wont be obnoxiously loud. youll get that nice euro growl at like 3500+ which is what i want, but idk what piping i want yet. im thinking 2.5-3 inch

Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

The problem I am facing with the 14229 and 226 are that there 5*8. From what my guy is saying and the consensus of the forumis that there is potential for the bottom of the muffler to be visible from the side. From what I have been able to find magnaflow does not offer an outlet on the bottom, so then your dealing with an easily visible flaw. Flowmaster hushpowers do seen to be small enought dia. to be hidden but cant find actuall dimentions for the body. 2-2.5 in and out.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

I used the 12577's on my A6. 12586's will fit better. Make sure you install resonators on it or it will be WAY too loud for an A6. As for the exiting, your muffler shop can just bend a piece of 2.5" pipe downward and weld it to the outlet side of the muffler. You will not be able to see the mufflers if they are mounted properly. If you have exposed tips you will have to buy some tips to pop on the end of the pipes.

Quick Reply: 2.7t magnaflow ?s