Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t overheating, low boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t overheating, low boost

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all...9/#post1358602

dont flame! i know i posted in two categories, but since there are a6's with the same motor i figured i could get the allroad and a6 guys to chime in.

hey everyone, i've done some searching on here for these two issues but havent found any conclusive answers. i just bought a 2001 audi allroad 2.7t with 61k miles.
here are my questions
1. i drove it 600 miles home and it started overheating on me and now overheats all the time. i changed the temp sensor last night and it doesnt seem to have changed anything. id assume it is a thermostat and im in the middle of changing that right now
2. it seems to be lacking power. i can feel it take off until about 2500 rpms and the it seems to lose power. theres no drilling noise but there is a sound that sound like a really loud fan when i accelerate and i dont think its the clutch fan. the driver side intake from the intercooler to intake manifold popped off the other day since it wasnt tightened down all the way. what should i be checking to see whats going on with the turbos?

The car hasn't been driven a whole lot in the last couple years.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums!!!

HOW DARE YOU POST IN TWO SEPARATE SECTIONS!!!!!

j/k

there could be a whole bunch of reasons why you are having problems. the first thing you should do is have it scanned, Vag-com if possible, generic scanner otherwise.

without codes, my best advice to you is to start reading the stickies and just cruising around the forums in general to get a better familiarity with the car and what kinds of things can go wrong. you say it has not been driven much in the past couple of years. leads me to believe that some of the routine maintenance stuff may have been neglected. speaking of which, while you are changing the thermostat, I really hope you are doing the timing service....

good luck

Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

no check engine light, ive scanned it with my elmscan with obdwiz, no trouble codes. do i need a more sophisticated scanner?

the timing belt, water pump and tensioner were done by the PO less than a year ago (less thank 2k miles ago). i decided not to change it since it still all looks brand new. i double checked the timing and it looks fine as well. im putting in a fail safe thermostat so that if it ever fails it will stick open rather than closed. ive been pouring over the forums for the past week and keep seeing people who have similar problems but most of the threads fizzle out before anyone has a real working solution. thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

I also found this, going to try this soon http://www.allroadfaq.com/downloads/...re_testing.pdf

Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Okay I found out that the charge pressure line to the NV75 valve has a leak in it somewhere since it won't hold vacuum. That's progress! Now the problem is tracing down the leak. Those hoses are hard to get to.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

so i guess its probably the accumulator(?) the mushroom looking thing that opens the wastegates.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Audi S4 2.7T

Losing coolant in Audi S4 2.7T?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

what are you talking about?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

smells like SPAM!

seems like you are making progress

Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

thermostat didn't change anything and the water pump seemed fine. im thinking maybe the aux. water pump? what are the symptoms of that going out?

Quick Reply: 2.7t overheating, low boost