Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t vs. GXP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t vs. GXP

I put this in the street forum but in case some of you 2.7ts don't make it over there I'll put it here too.

Had a little fun driving today, take this however you want because people always say BS on almost every thread on this forum. Anyway I have a 2000 A6 2.7t six speed (stock besides DV's and TBB). The opponent a 2005 or newer Grand Prix GXP. Cruising along the highway and this guy passes me twice and then slows down so I pass him at like 65. So the third time he pulls up to me I shift from 6 to 4 thinking he wants to play. So we are side by side at 75 ready to rock. I decided to let him make the first move. He punched it andlike that had a car on me, I immediately dropped it into 3rd and let her buck, by the time 3rd wasdone we were dead even. I ran through 4th gear and had 2 cars on him. Slap it into 5th and merge in front of him by about 4 cars at 125+. It was a great rush.

I know that the GXP's are fast cars and in the 1/4 mile should beat me, but I think I know why I won. Being as they only through 4 speed autos in those. When he punched it he probably didn't get 2nd gear all he had was drive, as for me I was able todrop it into 3rd at 5000 some rpms.The difference in gearing at that speed allowed me to have an advantage from the start that I was able to build on.

Thats my story and boy was it fun. You may now proceed to call me liar or whatever, I promise you won't hurt my feelings.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.7t vs. GXP

Love these stories. Audis are underrate-rated. The regular GT's are pretty quick, my friend had one. But GXP? Congrats! American cars have big engines and no power and are not used efficiently. The manuals are even quicker though. I raced a mustang Gt today, maybe a 2005? He had me. I wish I had the APR chip. I kept up pretty good though.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Grand Prix GXPs aren't all that impressive. Yes they have just over 300hp but they are HUGE cars....and like you said their transmissions weren't exactly performance based......actually anything that says "Grand Prix" on it falls under the same boat - so I believe it that you could pull away from him.

Now the newer Pontiac stuff coming out is a whole different story. That new G8 GT they have is amazing and I'm sure will be a force to be wreckoned with considering it has 361hp. They are also goingto release a G8 GXP that is expected to be pushingright at 400hp! The (now-deceased) GTO was also amazing....I wouldn't even bother totry and play with a car like that. To top it all off, I'm pretty sure someone within GM performance is planning a supercharger kit to make those things even more deadly.

What has happened to Pontiac? They have the G6, the new G8, the 260hpTurbo Solstice, they had the GTO.....I mean those are alldecent looking cars that actually contain nice power and have nice interiors. Isn't this the same company that gave us the Aztec not that many years ago? Weren't they also responsible for the acres of plastic found on the sides of every Grand Prix and Grand Am for the previous decade or so? Didn't they also produce such vehicles as the Sunfire and the Bonneville?

I don't know who has taken control of the Pontiac division over the past few years, but whoever it is should be put in charge of GM. With production vehicles like that, I'm not so sure they couldn't return to their former glory.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

congrats, I am impressed, I definitely thought the GXP would be faster than stock 2.7T. The 6spd probably helped you.
That's awesome. I'll have to try racing one.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

Good job!

I agree with Costner, Pontiac has definitely stepped its game up. That G6 hard top convertible coupe is gorgeous, and they seem to have their heads screwed on more tightly when it comes to what "American Cars Should Be Like."

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

I think the A6 has plenty of power, especially from a rolling start at the speed you started at. Off the line, I'm not sure you'd notch the win. Just think what your A6 would have done chipped with another 70 hp!

BTW, Pontiac's are nice looking on the outside but cheap plastic on the inside. I had a couple, including a limited production 1990 6000 AWD, and I would never buy another due to bad experiences with the 6000. The POS had it's rear pumpkin breather hose in a rear wheel well, where it sucked in moisture every time it rained and eventually ruined the differential. I hadthe original differentialreplaced under warranty and when I noticed the second one starting to fail, I figured out the hose problem (and relocated it to the inside of the trunk), and traded the car for my first Saturn. Never had a problem with the little Saturn SW2 in 145k miles, other than whacking a deer one night. Rant about Pontiacs done.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

ppgoal: Your comments about Pontiacs are legit, but again you are speaking of older models that don't really compare to what they produce today. In my opinion it is only within the last two years or so that they have really turned things around, but the same could be said for a lot of GM products. You mention Saturn, and they too have been making a lot better cars in the past couple of years. Chevrolet is in the same boat - the new Impala and new Malibu, as well as the new Tahoe/Suburban and Silverado lines are all lightyears ahead of the vehicles they replaced.

They probably still are unable to match the build quality of an Audi, Lexus, or Toyota....but they are getting better.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

first off good kill, second......... there's a reason pontiac has such nice cars now. they didnt design a single one. They are sourced from gm owned companys like holden in australia and vauxhall in europe. they are just rebadged and sheet metaled and sold here.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

Well in that case....congrats to whoever finally made a good decision. People just need to know their limitations, so it is good Pontiac finally admitted it has zero clue how to design an attractive car. I'm guessing the Aztec is what pushed them over the edge. [8D]