Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T w/Tiptronic - Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Default 2.7T w/Tiptronic - Hesitation

I have a 2004 A6, 2.7Twith tiptronics transmission. Ihave been experiencing hesitation from a stop or when driving slow.

The car seems to have a pause of 1-2 seconds before it goes.

Has anyone experienced hesistation with 2.7T engine with tiptronic Transmission? What was the cause/fix?
Thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.7T w/Tiptronic - Hesitation

I think its just a general computer hold up. I no you can get a GIAC chip for a 2.8 that will shorten the shift time from 1 sec. to ..2second prolly have one for the 2.7 too should check it out.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

I also have a 2004 A6 2.7T with tip transmission. I have been experiencing the same type of hesitation. I notice it more fro a dead stop when I turn the corner.It feels like a dead spot in the transmission, as the engine is not insinc or the turbo does not want to work unless you gun it.I also notice when you let off the gas at any speed it feels like it is downshifting.

I bought the car few weeks ago with 74000 miles on it,had to fork $$ for timing belt,cam seals and replace both front axle boots. I feel the hesitation it is more than just put a chip in it fix it problem...... Any Audi Techs out there expericed these symptom???

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
2nd Gear

I used to own a 1996 A6 2.8 and now own a 2004 A6 2.7T Q, both Automatic though the 1996 did not have the tip mode. Both have a delay in acceleration at very low RPM, it was more obvious in the 2.8 from a tranny standpoint… I guess in 8 years they made some… slight … improvements! The delay in the 2.7T at first seemed more significant but with more driving I found it was b/c of the added power and Turbos, which the 2.8 did not have. Their short lag gave that effect in my personal experience. I think it is to some extent inherent to our cars. Also the hoses tend to expand and shrink giving variation in boost delivery.
In my experience, gunning it from a stand still with the 2.7T TIP will give you more delay than easing in the throttle before flooring it. I get better accelerations at red lights by doing so. You could also brake launch it.. Ouch! Not too often though!
I would say that my mods have somewhat deleted this delay problems with better boost hold (Hoses, Bipipe, DV’s) and more torque at low RPM (Piggies, PowerGaskets). I reprogrammed my tranny with 01032 code and it helped with the overall tip experience and especially giving my a true 1st gear. I heard various conflicting opinions on the tip chip and no conclusive test showing improvements on 1/4 mile. I am not sure though that it would cure the lag mentioned above.

Have you tried taking your car to a shop and look for codes with a VAGcom? Just to make sure there is nothing wrong with it? If you’re modded and putting down lots of power, I would consider getting an upgraded TC from a reputable shop.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

i experienced that a couple months ago, but mine would actually die at like a red light or when ever i stopped, it became that bad yea. i ended up haveing to replace my fuel oxygen sensor, now it works great, i still have alittle delay, but nothing to bad. If it cuts out fg615 get it to a shop asap. i was almost t boned when making a left turned and it cut out...

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Oh I forgot... Get a TBA done, it helped my car and will adjust the idle too.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys- relative newbie here. I'm just getting used to the operation of my '07 A6 (3.2 w/ tip). I also noticed what I thought was a hesitation taking off from a stoplight (driving almost exclusively in "D" mode). However, upon further examination and aslo based on what I've seen here on this forum, I think I'm just experiencing the immediate upshift from 1st to 2nd that the tranny seems to be programmed for. I'm guessing that by shifting so quickly out of first, the car's not in its powerband and it takes a split second for it to get up to speed, at which point acceleration is fine. I gather the timimg on this shift can bechanged and may look into that, though it's pretty easy to drive around. Others on this forum should be able to provide more detailed info on this and/or do a search.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Whats a tba?

Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

Formulagigi,Thanks for the imput.
I just had the TB service done 2 weeks ago and They cleared aVAG code dtc 18265that appeared when the battery cable was disconnected. The code had something to do with the ESP as is stayed on and could not be turned off,also effected how it drove and had a hard shift in drive and reverse. Not sure if problem completly went away,having this car only a few weeks it has been disappointing and sure hope it is nothing major.Ihaveit a scaned again to feel ok with it, to fix it if there is a problem orto accept that this just how this German car performs.

What did you mean by TBA? was it Timing belt adjustment?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

A6IN and GCAN:
TBA is the Throttle Body Alignment. I did mine and felt a small difference.
Takes seconds to do. I have the APR program to do it myself from the cruise control. But it can be done super qjuick with a vag com.
Cost nothing, worth doing.

BobbyO:
Yes the tip skips 1st gear unless you absolutely gun it. It CAN be REPROGRAMMED, which I what I mention in my post above. I changed the tranny code from 01002 to 01032. Find someone with a VAGCOM and they'll do it in 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: 2.7T w/Tiptronic - Hesitation