Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 or 2.7T?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 or 2.7T?

Hello to all.....I am new to this forum.

I need some opinions......I am in the process of purchasing a 2000 A6. I am crazier about the 2.7T engine rather than the 2.8 for the extra HP and the fact that I found a manual transmition A6 (which I prefer). I found one with 90K miles that seems in great condition. However, my long-time mechanic warns me about the 2.7T because of the turbos, the extra complexity of the engine, and potential maintenance to this type of engine compared to the 2.8.

Any thoughts? Am I increasing my risks of ownership investment dollars if I decide for the 2.7T vs. the 2.8 engine?

Thanks in advance
Alberto

Old 09-07-2004, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2.8 or 2.7T?

Welcome to the forum Beto!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.
================================================== ====================================
Yes, the 2.7t requires more maintenance, but the difference in performance is remarkable. It's up to you and your priorities. If you like a low maintenance engine, then you can't go wrong with the 2.8 in an Audi. If you can afford the maintenance and are fairly disciplined about keeping up with the schedule, then the 2.7t will reward you with a lot of driving pleasure. You can't let the little things slide on a 2.7t engine. They demand attention immediately. If you ignore them, they will remind you with other (usually more expensive) problems later.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Imola....thanks for the reply. Your insight helped. Last night I purchased the 2.7T and it is a phenomenal car. Looking forward to sharing ideas in this forum.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

Glad to hear it. Make sure you browse the S4 forum, too. Many of the owners there (like me) drive the B5 S4 with the 2.7t engine. You'll get a lot of good insight from their feedback on many related topics, too.

Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks...I will. This was the first weekend with the car and I was enjoying it so much that I didn't want to get out of it. I kept finding excuses to run all kinds of erruns with it. I felt like a kid with a brand new GI Joe in my hands :^)

Old 09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear

Let's see if we can get you off on the right foot...
What's the mileage?

You should:
replace the DV's (with at least new OE DV's; there are many upgraded DV's out there, but the 710N is good)
replace the TBB (with a new OE) if it has any signs of wear around the hose clamp
replace the f-hose should be checked for integrity and replaced if it's questionable (this applies to 2000 models only)
All of these R&R's can be done by you - the parts should cost no more than $200 total (you might get them for a lot less)
Lastly, have the control arms checked - Audi's are notorious for control arms that need constant attention.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Imola,

The car has 104K miles. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you refer by:
DV's
TBB and
f-hose

I love mechanics and machines in general, but I don't have much experience.

The upgrades sound reasonable in cost

Thank
Beto

Old 09-14-2004, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear

DV = Diverter Valve (mechanical valve)
TBB = Throttle Body Boot (hose)
f-hose = (only on model year 2000) another small hose that, due to it's design, may degrade and leak

These are all abbreviations that can be found HERE! You will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Since the car has 104K, you should check it's maintenance history for the timing belt replacement. If it hasn't been done, it's well overdue. Unfortunately it's a pricey job, but worth it.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Thank you so much....that helps a lot. Timing belt has been replaced....I checked on that because I knew it should have been done at that mileage and it's a pricey job. In terms of the other mods, I don't know.

The car had only one owner, and based on how the car looks and behave and what I have been able to check, he took good care of it. So maybe he took care of a few things like that...I have to check though.

Thanks again

Old 09-20-2004, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Beto- Glad to hear you like the 2.7T I'm going to make an offer on an '02 today. Let's hope i get it. I drove it yesterday. All I can say is wow! The bigeest dissapointment is that it's still under warranty- at least another year b4 I can chip it!! ;>