Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 to LPG or CNG

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 to LPG or CNG

Has anyone done it?
Is it possible?

What about other models?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.8 to LPG or CNG

Good morning. I have a 2000 2.7t that's been converted to LPG. The conversion was done professionally at a workshop. I've had no problems with the system at all and given the petrol prices in the UK at the moment, I'm saving around £1600 per year in fuel. The system needs to be serviced once a year (costs about £15) where they change a filter etc. but other than that, you're good to go.

I'd recommend having it done professionally, for the simple fact that aside from a warranty, you can still take your Audi to a dealer or reputable garage. What you don't want is to take it somewhere for a service or a famous water pump replacement, only to be told they won't do it because there's a mass of wires and pipes under the bonnet.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

How much does it cost to do the conversion? Any reliability issue? Is performance affected? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

What is LPG or CNG? How does it work?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

Liquified petroleum gas, and Compressed Natural Gas.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Where I live there are few LPG or CNG refill stations open to the public. Therefore, I would need to be able to still run on gasoline or E85 after the conversion. In fact there are very few E85 stations. There are conversion kits for E85, but they don't include things such as new fuel pumps, fuel lines, stainless steel fuel tanks, etc. I suspect that LPG/CNG conversion kit may have similar problems.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gubro30

How much does it cost to do the conversion? Any reliability issue? Is performance affected? Thanks!
I'm quoting UK prices here, but a 6 cylinder engine conversion is around £1,500, fitted professionally with a recognised and proven system with a warranty.

There have been no reliability issues in the 3 years I've had the system and performance is not affected in any way. The ONLY difference I can tell between petrol and LPG is a slight ticking noise at tickover with the bonnet (hood) up. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It's cheaper to fill up, cleaner on the environment, and significantly kinder to the engine.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Liquidtuna,
Did your conversion require new pistons?

If you wouldn't mind,
What were some of the things involved in the conversion?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 PM

The cost is insane!
EPA certified conversion kit list:
http://www.ngvamerica.org/pdfs/FAQs_...ng_to_NGVs.pdf
Apparently the available EPA and CARB certified kits are not sold retail, just to professional installers. Also, Audi is not in the above list. So, if you live in an area with emmisions OBDII testing, then any non EPA or CARB conversion could be considerd as tampering.
www.mycngkit.com has non epa certified kits,which don't includethe costly CNGtanks. The CNG tanks have to be certified, so that is why they are so expensive. CNG tanks are very high pressure, as compared to the lower pressure LPG tanks. Special high pressure tubing and fittings are an additional cost. An optionalhome CNG refill station is also very expensive.
Beware of any accidentinvolving the high pressure CNG tanks, which could engulf the car in a fireball, and/or take off like a rocket. So, how do you keep that CNG tank inside a hot car trunk in the summer?