Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 vs 2.7T again

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 vs 2.7T again

I know this is asked a lot but I would like to know how different these engines are when it comes to maintance and reliability. Just looking at a couple of used A6's-very nice cars. Anything particular that breaks down on them? Are their drivelines bulletproof?

Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2.8 vs 2.7T again

Welcome to the forum antonch!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.
================================================== ====================================
This question was just asked a few days ago. It got a few good replies, too. Search the archives.
In short, the 2.8 is a lower maintenance engine, but the 2.7t is generally regarded as worth the extra maintenance for the enjoyment of the great performance.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

I just went through the same decision process a couple of weeks ago before purchasing my A6. If you like the extra performance, the 2.7T is definately worth every bid of it. That's what I decided to purchase and I am extremely glad that I did. I am still familiarizing myself with the car and the Audi experience, but I constantly have a smile in my face.

The 2.8 is definately a nice car, but I thought it was like night and day when it came to comparing the performance end of things. The 2.7T is definately much more enjoyable in that sense.

Good luck with the decision

Old 09-15-2004, 05:55 PM

Does it go 100 Smiles per hour?

Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

So what kind of increased maintance exactly are we talking about? I cannot do a search for the 2.8 vs 2.7 issue because the software does not allow me to do so.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear

The 2.7t has twin turbos!
There are a lot more components involved with that system alone. Valves, hoses and the related components involved in the intake are finely tuned to the system. Everything must work like a swiss watch. They need to be monitored regularly. Boost should be monitored while driving (unfortunately Audi does not include a stock boost gauge, so smart owners have one installed).
Of course all of these components, should they ever need to be replaced, are not inexpensive.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

So is it uncommon for these cars to go 150k-200k without anything breaking (if the car is unabused most of the time and used as a commuter)? How is the life of the turbo units, driveline, auto tranny, the motor itself?
Thanks in advance.