Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7T RNS-E Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 2.7T RNS-E Upgrade Questions

Greetings Audi Forums! I haven't been on for some time and am checking back in, because I have questions about upgrading from the Symphony system. I've done a search, which produced what probably once was a great thread, but now contains links that no longer exist. I've seen different answers to the questions that I have, so I'm posting here hoping to get a final answer.

I have a 2000 A6 2.7T with the double din Symphony system installed with Bose speakers in front and back. There isn't any kind of nav installed. I've read in some threads that the RNS-E is plug and play, as long as you have the adapter harness, but I've read in other threads that the gauge cluster needs to be removed to connect the GPS antenna? I'm totally confused here. Here's what it APPEARS that I need:

- the RNS-E head unit
- a US nav dvd
- the removal tool keys
- the adapter harness
- the gps antenna

Am I missing anything? I've read something about Vag-Com. I have no idea what this is. If I buy a unit already programmed for the US, do I still need to have this done. And what exactly is it? Also, I'm in the Chicago area. I may be willing to pay someone to do the install, if it isn't too expensive.

Thanks in advance for the help. PLEASE don't respond and say 'do a search', because I've done that and saw conflicting answers to my questions, and didn't see anything that directly spoke to my case.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Anyone?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Big tone.
I was looking at doing this for my 01 allroad. Same chasis as an a6. What vagcom does is confirms with your ecu that you hav the nav unit. It also allows you to code it for the DIS. But read this. This link gives a complete install for rns-e to a a6 o that year. Little more than just plug and play.

http://www.f1computers.force9.co.uk/...s_Audi/RNS.pdf

Let me know if this helps. If you have the unit and wan to sell instead. Let me know. In looking for an a6 unit. But read this install first. Helps a lot. I have put in one thinking plug and play. And it's not. I have function but not complete etx.