Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7t Transmission Swap with 2004 A6 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Default 2000 A6 2.7t Transmission Swap with 2004 A6 2.7

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2000 A6 2.7 with 130k miles that will not move forward and only moves in reverse as I was told by my fiance. 2 days after I ship out to Afghanistan my use to be faithful Audi breaks down hard. Could not have picked a worse time to break down as we just got rid of our second car before I left. My fiance said the car started falling in and out of gear and then siezed all forward movement whats so ever. I read in a forum and was told by my mechanic its probably the torque converter and it seems very possible as I recenlty pulled T/C fault with a off the shelf scanner from autosone after the car began to change gears very hard. I read in this forum about seals in the T/C going bad regularly in the 2000-2003 2.7 A6's.

The good is that I purchased a 2004 A6 Sline almost a year ago with less then 30k on it at auction for the wheels and other misc. parts. The car took a hard hit in the front left and is only good for parts (certificate of destruction) no title.

Can anyone tell me for certain if the transmission from a automatic 2004 A6 2.7t will fit my automatic 2000 A6 2.7t? If the tranny will not fit will the torque converter atleast fit?

Also what other parts would you recommend to change while this is being performed at the shop. I was going to have the turbos and exhaust swaped out including the rear bumper to give it a more modern look. Everything except the block and possibly heads are not useable since the timing belt and cam gears where broken off from the accident and I was told this is a interferance motor that bends the valves if it jumps timing. Any suggestions you may have will be most appreciated.
Thanks
Ken.

Last edited by kenlugo; 08-09-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

The transmission and torque convertor should swap over just fine, but I would swap the TCM as well. I wouldn't plan on swapping the turbos until the existing turbos go bad.

Good luck and thanks for serving!

Bob

Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Bob, I will be asking my mechanic to go ahead and start pulling the transmission from the 04 and will ask him once my 2000 get there to visually compare the electrical connectors and hope they do match. Where exactly is the TCM located? Also how can I verify which tranny my car has EMP or EDF. I did a parts search on car-part.com and on the 2000 is asks for a specific.
Thanks
Ken.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

If it's a quattro I would plan on swapping the rear diff as well just to make sure the gears match or your screwed.
I think I once heard they are matched sets. You wouldn't want to mix Helga's rear and Uve's trany.

You think our fearless leader would throw you a bone on a left over Impala or something. After all it's not like your totally putting your *** on the line so he can buy car manufacturers!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM

The audi finnally made it to the shop today after a week. I had it shipped from Boston to South jersey through uship. I got a pretty good price 430. I do not know any mechanics in Boston and my mechanic has treated me good in the past. Last time a hose broke and I was deployed a shop in Boston charged my fiance almost 500 for a water hose. Could not imagine what they would get her for on this one trany job. I expect my mechanic to start work on it tomorrow. I will update on the the outcom.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM

I recieved a email from my mechanic. He tells me that he called Audi dealer and one of the techs there said the tranmission is specific for a 2000. 01, 02, 03, 04 they cross over but my 2000 does not.

Do any of you you experts out there know what makes it specific and if its just hopefully an external bolt on item that can be swaped over from the original tranmission to the 2004 trany. I have a whole 2004 parts car with the same 2.7t power train. Any ideas? I convinced the mechanic to take both trannys down on my dime of course to see it there is anything obvious that just needs to be swaped out....

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

Make Model Engine Model Year OE Part # Code ZF Part # Type

Audi A6 Quattro 2.7L 1998 - 2001 01V 300 046T EMP 1060 040 044 5HP19FLA
Audi A6 Quattro 2.7L 1998 - 01V 300 049K FAQ 1060 040 063 5HP19FLA

Identify your transmission:
There is an ID sticker on the bottom of the transmission.
Or call dealer - VIN- obtain the transmission model.

Identify the target swap- same procedure apply.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear

First question is what is your VIN? from studying a crash parts PDF file, there is a split at VIN Y070000 for transmission mounts. After this VIN, the part number is the same as the later years. This would imply some sort of transmission change at this VIN. It MIGHT be just a case of mounting differences, in which case your mechanic could just swap over the required brackets and be done.

Now, having said that, would it be possible to swap the engine and transmission from the parts car to the 2000? If he swaps everything as a unit, he should be able to make it work. This option might be a bit pricey, but it would be worth a consideration.

Good luck and thanks again for serving,

Bob

Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Bob, thanks for the info. sorry for the late reply. Ive been out in the field and limited internet. Anyway just spoke with my brother and he plugged the car into a snap on shop computer and got a TCM fault and the TCM was very hot to the touch. He purchased a used TCM (150). After this he the car will know move forward which it did not do before. But it would only take off in 2nd gear and changed gears very rough. He pluged it up to the computer agian and then got a ECM fault. Purchased used ECM (150). Car ran perfect. He drove it off post and and as soon as he got on the highway something poped in the tranny and the car would only go 10mph.

After this he began to pull the transmission. I had no idea the swap required so much. I will try to post the picture he sent me. He ended up having to remove the front bumper, radiator support, A frame, lowered the engine about 6 or 8 inches, removed exhaust which he says was the hardest part and to top it off the torque converter was frozen to the flywheel. He has installed the tranny from the 04 and the rear dif.

The main differnses he saw was that the tranmission itself is longer then the 00. The rear dif is also shorter and the drive shaft is a different size. He is assembling the drive shaft as I type this so I hope it all lines up. Also the shifter linkages where diffrent adn the ECM from the 04 has a different electrical conectror from the 00. Do you know if its safe to use mobile 1 ATF? i read that some people preffer this over the pricy Audi OE ATF? I heard that Castrol aslo make a European ATF fluid any advise on this? I will post more as soon as get the outcom of this pricey project. Also the car recieved the 17" sline wheels from the 04 sline. I do not have the time to have the rear bumbper and spoiler painted and installed as the car has been down for almost 3 weeks.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM

The job is comlete. It worked. It is possible to definetly swap over any tranny from 2000-2004 2.7 turbo quatro. Thanks for your advise and expertise. You will need to replace the shifter linkage, drive shaft and rear diff. I had a 30k milage transmission installed and did not have to go the rebuild route. Last 2 times I opted for a rebuild it was never the same afterwards and caused me trouble with poor shifting and leaks. I believe a low milage used tranny is definetly the way togo and for less $$ in the long run.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 A6 2.7t Transmission Swap with 2004 A6 2.7-2010-08-28-18.09.04-large-.jpg   2000 A6 2.7t Transmission Swap with 2004 A6 2.7-silver-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 2.7t Transmission Swap with 2004 A6 2.7