Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 Hood Latch will not release

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 Hood Latch will not release

Quick Rundown:

2000 Audi A6 2.8L FWD

I've done a ton of work here. Timing Belt job (et al), new shock, new axle (both passenger side)

What I have encountered is that today upon my first test drive in two months is that my hood release cable has become unhooked. (she runs even better - btw. 3-4 mm stretch on the old timing belt - yuck)

Ive tried to remove the upper latch, but I can only get to two of the 10mm nuts. I have the bumper off and can kind-of get behind the lock-carrier and the fan (drivers side). I can see the cable! But I cant work it back into the catch to operate the release.

Read three old threads about A4's and one A6 similar to my model but no real resolution. Anyone have any details on a template for a hook made from wire hangar or ceiling grid wire?

I cant get my front bumper back on until I can get the hood open. I'm really close to pulling the front grille back out and taking a sawzall to the pin and just ordering a new one on Ebay. (I have to order a sway-bar link anyway).

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I know the A6 is one of the highest rated for anti-theft, but there's got to be a way to get the hood/bonnet open.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Well - since I never attached the front bumper I am going to attempt to use a ceiling grid wire (long coat hanger) to fish inward to pop the release.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

Well, I finally got it open. Here's the deal:

If you can remove the AC condenser you will have more room to maneuver. You will remove the grill with the logo.

I used a ceiling rod (rod for ceiling grid tiles) and fished from the drivers side of the latch took about 90 minutes, but was able to catch the release and up she popped. It's about the equivalent of picking a lock for the first time (which I recently did as well)

I wrapped the cable with some electrical tape and shoved it into its holder above the radiator and fan. I then landed the cable in its carrier release and bound it with a tiny zip-tie.

I'll upload some photos when I get a chance. There is no easy way to do this and you will have to be patient and diligent, but as soon as you catch it the hood will pop up instantly.

Btw, prop open a door as you may set off the anti-theft...I did about 5 times.

The A6 is one of the hardest cars to break into, and this is just to get the hood open! If you find yourself in a position like me, (tired of mechanics and poor work) take your time and it will be worth it.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default belated photos

I have performed numerous repairs since I promised to post photos.

Here they are of my repair and the surrounding area.

The red lines represent my hook. If they are dashed I tried to represent them as hidden or as seen from the backside. All-in-all it took me about 30-45 minutes to fish/grab and open the hood.

It required removing the front grille with the Audi emblem. Go slow. you WILL get it. You will set off the alarm. Have your keys handy to shut her off and good luck.

The blue thingy is a b-connector on the end of the wire. We use them in security (alarms, cameras, etc.)

Attached Images