Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 Quattro starter problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 Quattro starter problem.

HI All,

I own a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro, bought it new and love the car.

Here's the problem: This morning my wife went out to start the car and it didn't crank, just clicked.

So I tried jumping starting it with with the Nissan Titan and it would spin, but the engine wouldn't turn.

My first thought was the battery was dead so I tried putting a charge on it, but the battery would not hold a charge. (Dead Battery)

Ran out to Sears and the battery was indeed dead... bought a new battery... installed it.

Went I went to start the engine the starter spins, but it doesn't sound like the starter solenoid is kicking in.... just the starter spinning.

I'm I missing something or is this one of those Audi quirks?

HELP any advice?????

Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

OK the engine is cranking... so yes the engine is turning over, but it still won't start.

I checked all the fuses including the 40 amp under the hood with the engine control unit and everything is fine there.

When I turn the key I hold the gas peddle all the way to the floor and crank it for 15 seconds with a 15 second rest...I follow this up with three more attempts just incase it's flooded.

I also sprayed in a little starting fluid in the air filter just to give it a bump.

Still won't start... and remember this all started with a dead battery.

Anyone with any ideas?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have sparks? (using starting fluid should bypass fuel issues).

Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
Do you have sparks? (using starting fluid should bypass fuel issues).
Ya that was my first thought... thinking it was electrical... again because the battery was dead and it might have reset something in the electronics.

Anyway I'm going to pull a spark plug now and check for spark... unless you know an easier way?

I just need someone to turn the key while I check for spark.... wait for the kids to get home...hahaha

Hey... If there's no spark... then what?

Last edited by DaleFreitas; 01-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

$$$$$$

Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

I don't have any suggestions since replacing the battery should have solved the original problem (as described). If the starter is spinning the engine and it's not firing, then it indeed sounds electrical in the ignition.

I doubt all six of your coils failed simultaneously.

I am suspicious of holding down the gas pedal for 15 seconds. I never do that -- I don't give it any gas when I start mine. That could certainly have caused the engine to flood.

Let us know what you find -- this could be very useful information to the forum members. Hopefully it is something simple.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

my AUDI did the exact same thing, thought i broke the timing belt. but it was indeed the camshaft sensor, after that it turned on like a new car. get that piece checked out. if it clicks like the batterys dead and the lights flicker well it could be the same problem i had with mine.

Last edited by hurricane860; 01-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
I am suspicious of holding down the gas pedal for 15 seconds. I never do that -- I don't give it any gas when I start mine. That could certainly have caused the engine to flood.
This is a legacy technique from the good ole time of carburated engines, but it serves no purpose in fuel injected engines.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
2nd Gear

Do you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the ignition ON but don't crank the engine?
I am wondering if the fuel pump fuse or relay is the issue.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

Well here's we're I am with the problem.

Pulled the intake boot and put my hand intake opening... my son turned the engine over and I got pressure coming in and out of the intake boot.... not good.

So I pulled the timing belt cover and asked my son to turn the motor over... this time the timing belt was not spinning when the engine was turning over.

Looks like it wasn't the starter after all.

The engine was spinning but it without getting any compression because the valves were open.

Looks like the timing belt broke.

Again thanks for everyones assistance and AudiForums.com is a great source of helpful info.

Dale

Last edited by DaleFreitas; 01-05-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 Quattro starter problem.