Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 random alarm going off

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 random alarm going off

Hey everyone,

I bought an A8, so my poor A6 has been booted from the garage.

Its been raining like hell here for the last couple of weeks, and since the car has been outside, the alarm has been randomly going off. It seems to be there is water getting in somewhere and there is some kind of short.

Has anyone had this problem? I was told that the alarm is in the right rear panel of the trunk but I dont see it, I see a pair of speakers, but not much else.

Can anyone help me diagnose this? I am trying to sell the car, and this really messes up my plans.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear

I don't know about the 2000 but water can leak onto the right front floor if the drain holes under the battery are plugged.

Also see if the inside motion sensor is on. If you have it the switch is on the post behind the driver

Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
I don't know about the 2000 but water can leak onto the right front floor if the drain holes under the battery are plugged.

Also see if the inside motion sensor is on. If you have it the switch is on the post behind the driver

I'll check the area around the battery.

How would I be able to tell if the switch is on? I know the car has a motion sensor. Do you mean the post on the frame of the car between the doors?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear

Check the interio motion sensor button on the B-pillar on your driver side. Make sure it is off, meaning the light is off.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

I'm going to check that sensor.

I wanted to add some more info about the problem, I forgot to mention it before.

The alarm, in addition to randomly going off, has a few times failed to activate. Shut the car, lock the doors and wait for that familiar honk sound and nothing. Then like 20 seconds later, the sound appears.

On another occasion, the alarm never activated at all, at least not before I left the car after waiting.

I hope this may help shed some more light on the problem.

Thanks again everyone for your help...

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

All is normal. Car automatically locks itself once you unlock the car with remote but have not opened the door. I would check the motion sensor first.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
All is normal. Car automatically locks itself once you unlock the car with remote but have not opened the door. I would check the motion sensor first.
Actually, I should mention that I am aware of that, if you open the door it wont lock itself and I made sure to open the door and then close it and then lock the car. At this moment, the alarm normally activates and the horn sound goes off, but it didnt, not for about 20 seconds.

Then on another occasion it did the same thing but took quite a while for the alarm to activate because a while later the alarm went off.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever determine the root cause to this problem? I am having the exact same issue with my 2001 A6 and also think it has to do with all the recent rain (something like 12+ days of rain here in MA this month). I will check the drain holes under the battery and disable the interior motion button on the B pillar. Report back what you found.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Check for water getting into the interior controller underneath the drivers floor carpeting its inside the big black platic box thats under the carpet.

If it has water in it get it drained and dried as quickley as you can and it may start working properly again.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
Check for water getting into the interior controller underneath the drivers floor carpeting its inside the big black platic box thats under the carpet.

If it has water in it get it drained and dried as quickley as you can and it may start working properly again.
Thanks, I will check this out. How would water get inside this box, is it exposed to the outside somehow?

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 random alarm going off