Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 2.7 L - Oil Change Question

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Default 2001 A6 2.7 L - Oil Change Question

Hi,

Need some help....I can'd anywhere instructions on how much oil is needed when doing an oil/filter change on a 2001 2.7L A6.

Also, any advice on oil type...synthetic, weight?

Also, any tricks to doing the change?

Thanks so much!

Bill

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

5W-40 synthetic... Castrol syntec worked fine for me so far, but some swears by Mobil 1, others by redline... If you ask me, any reputable synthetic will do. The precedure is pretty straight forward. Get the car up to working temperature, remove the belly pan. Unscrew oil filler cap, and loosen the drain plug. Replace the filter with new and replace copper o-ring around the drain plug with new. Tighten everything back up and fill with about 6 1/2 quart.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
5W-40 synthetic... Castrol syntec worked fine for me so far, but some swears by Mobil 1, others by redline... If you ask me, any reputable synthetic will do. The precedure is pretty straight forward. Get the car up to working temperature, remove the belly pan. Unscrew oil filler cap, and loosen the drain plug. Replace the filter with new and replace copper o-ring around the drain plug with new. Tighten everything back up and fill with about 6 1/2 quart.
Do you have to replace the ring every time you change the oil? Also what's your personal average cost on an oil change for your A6? I'm debating whether to do the changes myself or pay $89 at the dealership.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JDw124
Do you have to replace the ring every time you change the oil? Also what's your personal average cost on an oil change for your A6? I'm debating whether to do the changes myself or pay $89 at the dealership.
If the plug doesn't leak with the old ring on, changing it every time is pretty much overkill. That's one way to look at it.
On the other hand, the o-ring is dirt cheap, so you might as well change it for some added piece of mind (if you're the type that once finishing the job you don't have another gaze under the car until the next change). That's another way to look at it.

As far as the oil change average cost, it depends on what supplies you use.
For Quartz Total INEO - 5 L bottle I paid $ 34.79. A MANN long-life filter was $ 11.90. For my car the o-ring was 33 cents. The total comes to $ 47.02.
This is the price without s&h. Next time I'll reduce the total by getting Mobil1 0w-40 from WalMart or OReillys and a cheaper filter.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
If the plug doesn't leak with the old ring on, changing it every time is pretty much overkill. That's one way to look at it.
On the other hand, the o-ring is dirt cheap, so you might as well change it for some added piece of mind (if you're the type that once finishing the job you don't have another gaze under the car until the next change). That's another way to look at it.

As far as the oil change average cost, it depends on what supplies you use.
For Quartz Total INEO - 5 L bottle I paid $ 34.79. A MANN long-life filter was $ 11.90. For my car the o-ring was 33 cents. The total comes to $ 47.02.
This is the price without s&h. Next time I'll reduce the total by getting Mobil1 0w-40 from WalMart or OReillys and a cheaper filter.
0w-40 is that European Car Formula stuff I see around isn't it? So it's good to use those? Good for our engines? Never really knew what the difference was, just bought it cause it was for Euro cars, (My old MB). Thanks for lal the info btw.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
2nd Gear

0-40 will work just fine. The copper washer is reusable. If worried about it, heat it up until it glows red, then let it cool down. That will remove the case hardening that happens when you tighten the bolt and make it nice and soft just like brand new!

And, it takes 7.5 quarts of oil.

Bob

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

I know the washers are reusable, but you can get a 10 pack from local parts shop for a dollar... What the hell... I live a little.

As for the cost of oil change I pay about $6/quart on oil and about $10 for filter. Ends up being about $55.

If you live in a cold climnate you can use 5w-30. Also if you live in a warm climate, you can use 10W-40. It all depends. 5W-40 is just standard recommended oil by the manufacturer.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

OIL -- Anything slippery will do LOL but 10-40 is best for my A6 2.8 and olive oil is best for me

Filter - always use Mann for my A6 - but it is woman for me

timing -- whenever I have time - for either

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
And, it takes 7.5 quarts of oil.

Bob
Bob,

Of course you have your own issues that you cannot figure out, but you are one of the more knowledgeable folks in here. So probably you might be able to satisfy my curiosity regarding the oil capacity (of course, if you don't mind me asking you).

Why is that a lower cc rated engine (2.7L) takes 1/3 more oil than a higher cc rated engine (2.8L)?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear

Bigger oil pan???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 A6 2.7 L - Oil Change Question