Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 2.7T w/ Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 2.7T w/ Tiptronic

I have a few questions to those of you who own or have owned one of these sedans. Mine only has 35K on it (not sure if knowing that will help) I have just received my car and am unsure of what is "normal" as I have never owned an Audi before.

While stopped and idleing there is noticeable shaking of the engine. However, while driving it is butter smooth (especially at high speeds - I found myself going 110mph the other day and had no idea I was anywhere near that). Mind you, the shaking is not what I would consider bad, but I was suprised to notice it. If anything i would have expected to feel the engine at higher speeds. The RPM'S at idle are around 500 (that seemed low to me is it?). Do all of you experience this? If not any ideas?

When using the tiptronic, the shifting is excellent. I enjoy how quick the response is when you accelerate as well as how engaging it is. When using D, I notice that there is some hesitation when I go to accelarate (I don't think that this is turbo lag, it does feel like the transmission itself - the turbo lag is noticeable until just after this hesitation. The turbos kick in just after this hesitation.) Generally speaking I can feel the transmission changing gears during all transitions (not just a momentary shift in the forward momentum, but a little jerk as the gear engages). It is more noticalbe during a hard stop as it downshifts. To me, it almost seems as though the shifting times are a little off (TCM?). I mean if it was a problem with the transmission itself, wouldn't I also notice it while using the Tiptronic?

Also, I am a little nervous to get the oil changed at a chain type place (Valvoline, Fast Eddies, etc.) What do some of you recommend? I will not go to the dealer, but I do not have the space or any ramps to do it myself. The is a local import garage. I obviously will go full synthetic, but is it necesary to use the Amosil type 5W40 oil? I planned on changing it sooner than the 10,000 miles. Baasically, I would like to know how a few of you handle your oil canges.

How important is it to idle before you turn off your vehicle? It seems to me that if hot oil in the turbo was as much of a problem as I read that Audi would have built in a delay timer to recirculate the oil for a minute or so after the engine was turned off.

I would really appreciate some help for a newbie. I am kinda unsure if something is wrong, or if this is how it is for everyone. I am use to my 98 Grand Prix where I almost expect to see imperfections. My perception of Audi is that performance and driving feel are very important - I kinda expected to not feel the engine except for the G's . I did buy an aftermarket warranty (no deductible - whoo hooo!), so it should be covered either way.

Thanks all.
mdd