Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 4.2 Sport Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 4.2 Sport Questions

I drove a 2001 A6 4.2 Sport yesterday and was very impressed. It is now at the top of my new used car purchase list. However, I have a few questions:

1. When do the timing belt/water pump, and head gaskets need to be changed and how much does it cost?

2. Where can I get RS6 Chrome Mirrors and how much do they cost?

3. Where can I get an RS6 rear spoiler?

4. Where can I get RS6 Exhaust Pipes?

5. What recommedations do you have for improving performance?

Thanks,

Jorgen
1997 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro

Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 2001 A6 4.2 Sport Questions

A few answers for you...

1. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf. You'll have to shop around for cost. Suggest you find a good independent Audi mechanic through the appropriate regional forum here and/or on www.audiworld.com

2. You can buy them for an outrageous price from Audi or you can buy the cheaper clones on eBay. Most go with the latter.

3. Audi dealership for the good one that actually bolts on to give the bet fit & finish. Here's a link to a less expensive one made by lltek: http://www.lltek.com/A6_4B_rs6look_spoiler.htm

4. RS6 Exhaust is best picked up off eBay. Tough to find. VERY loud. Most of what you'll be picking up is a different sound -- not that much of a performance gain.

5. Not a lot of performance mods can be done on the 4.2 other than suspension and brakes. Engine tweaking is more the domain of the 2.7T. For the 4.2, you're pretty limited to exhaust and some minor ECU tweaking (mostly to remove the speed limits).

Old 07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanks alot! That really helped.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:16 PM

I sold my LS430 and outright bought my 2000 A6 4.2. I have to say the Audi has so much more character than the LS430, even though the Lexus is a better car. Can't beat German styling. The extra wide V8 version is intimidating has a classy timeless look. I have a silver A6 with the limited edition Blue/Vanilla interior combo. That combo is simply stunning in person and gets compliments all the time.

As stated in the previous post. You can find the chrome mirrors and alot of stuff on ebay. Make sure you don't buy the cheap chrome stick on mirrors caps for around $30. You can get the chrome housing for about $120. The install was fairly easy.

Now for the exhaust upgrade. I HIGHLY recommend just having the big heavy restrictive resonator cut out and replaced with straight pipes leaving the stock muffer and cat alone. I had it done for $150 at a muffler shop.
I absolutely love the sound. Quiet at cruising speeds but when you get on it or rev it, there is a lovely refine V8 sound. It's so addicting that I turn my radio down to hear it!! It definately attracts attention. When people look it, it takes a second to register in their brain that a mid size Audi has such a powerful sound!! I love scaring the little imports away
Initially I felt a little difference in power. I guess after the computer adjusted to the resonator delete and me resetting the computer a few days after, I definately noticed a gain in power. It almost feels like 20+ more horses. Better throttle response and the oil temp seems to be down 25 degrees. I added a K&N air filter and it got alittle louder and maybe a few more horses freed up

I'd go with the 4.2. The V8 version seems to be rare in my area. I've only seen one other one but that was about 4 months ago. I see alot of 2.7tt, 3.0 and lowly 2.8s.

Most fun car I have owned.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your post. In my opinion the 4.2 Sport version is waaaaaaaay underrated !! In my opinion, the 4.2 with its wide flares and longer nose is more aesthetically pleasing to look at than the standard A6 body style. I also found the sport seats to be far supeior to the standard A6 seats. I only wish that it could be as fast as the S4 or 2.7T with the manual gear box. As soon as I can find a 2001 A6 Sport version with less than 75K miles on it in either blue or black, I'm buying it.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Seems like the other guys have replied with some good information, but one more point about performance...definitely look into the H-sport anti-sway bars from Hotchkis. They make the A6 corner so much better, much better than the stock sport suspension, and you can take on- and off-ramps at speed.

I have a 2002 A6 4.2 sport with the H-sports, and I went to look at another 2002 4.2 for another person with the stock sport suspension, and I nearly wiped out the first offramp I hit...the H-sports really do make a difference. Cost, about $400 and a somewhat easy DIY if you have ramps and the right tools.

The spoiler? Well, I went OEM because I have seen a few replicas of teh RS6 spoiler, and there is too much gap between the spoiler and the decklid. However, the OEM version does require drilling holes in the trunk to mount, so this is not reversible. The OEM spoiler also costs a few hundred just for the part, plus paint. The replicas are about $150 painted, but again, that gap, and there have been a few complaints here and there about the fit, some uneven gaps.

Best of luck finding your car...let us know how you make out!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Jorgen.....where you located, i may be getting rid of mine. I got a ming blue 2001 4.2L in great condition with just over 40k miles, bone stock with sport package.....im just outside chicago

Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Atorreon,

Unfortunately I am in Boston. Why are you going to get rid of yours?? What issues should I be concerned about? And how come your miles are so low??

Boston Driver,

When I find a good A6 4.2 Sport in my area to buy, I will definitely check out the suspension system that you mentioned. Do you have a link with more info?

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

i have honestly not run into any problems with this car at all im getting an M5 thats why im selling. my only issue with the 4.2 is the lack of horse power upgrades. other then that the car is great.....good luck in your search!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

Jorgen,

Here's the info on the H-Sport anti-sway bar that Boston Driver spoke about: click here

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 4.2 Sport Questions