Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Turnsignals

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:47 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 Turnsignals

I have noticed lately that when using the turnsignals, after the turn is complete and the signal has automatically shut off, the turnsignal sound continues for a short time. Also, the sound is not a constant rythym, it speeds up and slows down. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it?

I have also noticed that as the outside temperature goes up, the led display in the instrument cluster will start to fade out starting from the top right counter and moving down and left.

One more thing. The small plastic door that covers the headlight washers has disappeared. Does anyone know where I can purchase one and how they are installed?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 2001 A6 Turnsignals

First the problem with your turn signals is the flasher switch above the radio.
The second problem is your instrument cluster pixels are fading (common problem) Cluster has to be replaced.
Third you can either get the little cover for the headlight washer from a junkyard or audi, however if the cover fell off the headlight washer may be broken, have someone activate the washer system and grab a hold of the washer and you can hold it outside the bumper, then check to see if there is 4 pins (two on each side of the headlight washer that holds the little cover in place) if it does the headlight washer is ok so you can just get the cover piece.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

Is the flasher switch bad and in need of replacement? How do I replace it? I read the posts about the flasher and it seems like it is an extremely common problem. Only happens when it gets really hot inside so we will probably just live with it. I'll check our local junckyards for the headlight piece.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Site Moderator

Your gonna have to replace it, the turn signals will evetually stop working.
You need the radio removal tools to pull out the radio, then pop off the trim above the radio and then you just pry out the flasher switch.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi,

I managed to do this without the radio removal tools, just prise the trim off around the hazard switch then pull it out

easy!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

Is the trim not held on by screws? Where can I buy the tool if I need it? Where can I get a replacement switch?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

The trim is simple to pull out, since you are 2001 and you ahve the black plastic trim (instead of the wood trim). It is held in with 6, yes, 6 clips for that little piece. 3 of the clips are along the top, and three are along the bottom. To remove, open your cupholder to the right of the hazard relay about halfway, and use your fingers to pull the trim out. You could get it started, then use a plastic putty knife (or a metal one taped to avoid scratching anything). Don't worry if you end up breaking one or two clips. As long as you have at least two clips left, the trim will hold just fine.

Just buy a new hazard/signal relay at your local dealer. Part number is: 4B0941509DB98
You can see some pics on the removal process here: http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/91515.phtml

The other thing you might want to consider is that the turn signal stalk itself is fried. If the relay does not fix your issue, see this writeup: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec162.shtml

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM
1st Gear

Boston Driver,

I went to the link listed in your respnse but none of the pictures would show. What can I do to get the photos? I found a blinker switch on ebay. The model number is 4B0941509DB98. Do you know if this will fit my A6?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 PM

Hi Boston Driver,
Just replaced turnsignal cluster using your great write up. But... I also need to replace hazard flasher. I have a 1999 A6. Is that why my switch doesn't just pull out with needle nose as you suggest? I bought the new switch and see the tabs either side, but can see no way to depress them for removal. Remove radio? Ugh! Can it be done without tools?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 AM

I can not open the file to see the picture of how to change the hazard switch can any one be kind to send it to my mail address I thank you in advance mohammad.rastaghi@toshiba.co.uk mzny thabks
Mo

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 Turnsignals