Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 to brand spanking new

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default 2001 to brand spanking new

I am trying to turn back the clock on my a6 and make it the flagship of my detail service. Mostly I am concerned about the costs of a repaint and having a few dents pulled. On 2 door panels ******** have popped my car with their doors and one is a real doozy. I would also like to consider having the car repainted with something close to the original brilliant black, but i would like to have a little more metal flake for shimmer in the paint and maybe a black that is deeper too. Has anyone ever had a repaint done or had an estimate? Anyone have good websites for auto colors or paint codes?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM

a good paint job will probably come close to totaling your car in terms of value if that gives you a good idea.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

I kind of expected that . Maybe I should compound that whole thing, then a few steps of polishing and klasse and see what I think then. I have some serious swirling, but I haven't seen any scratches or any chips. I just want that ultimate deep black that I know that paint can do, but in colorado it takes a day for dust to totally cover you car any ruin everything

Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM

you should definitely start with a good detail, the depth will come right back!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

i know a thing or two about body work and
for a decent paint job your looking at around 4k.

if you go to a cheap shop like maaco or earl schibe they will do it for less but your
car will look like it has a honda civic paint job. they will leave clear coat drips, overspray everywhere, maybe even orange peel.

try detailing it if all fails you can have a shop touch up your paint for ALOT LESS than a complete job.

4k is about what a 99 a6 costs lol.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear

my front and rear bumper are both pretty chewed up. I was thinking about eventually doing the hoefle rs6 body kit and I know they will need to be painted. A good body shop shop be able to get a good match when that happens right? I guess I'm just seen so many terrible paint jobs on some ricers around here that I have nightmares of having a bright green spray paint body and cracked unpainted body kit pieces.

As long as the color codes are correct how well would a 10 year old paint match a freshly painted body piece?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Anything could be done in terms of matching and finesse=> big $$$
How reasonable would it be on a 10 y old car with many potential ....
My 2c - you are heading down the road that leads to the PONR.
Have you ever considered to spay your bumpers with rubberized coating -black or colored?
European bumpers are plastic black - as on the AR. And people are enjoying their cars no less then we are.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

Huffman – you disappoint me!

Audi’s are made for driving not polishing. The closest my 97 Avant gets to a car wash is when I fill it with gas and the drive through wash is working. It gets to see all those prissy little vehicles getting soaked with white stuff and scratched by the brushes. I did clean the brake dust off the wheels a few years ago because the front’s looks like they were black instead of silver. But other than that I figure that Mother Nature got it dirty so she needs to clean it up!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear

The best detailing information I have found is by Mike-in-Orange in this thread. He is a Meguiar's rep and seems to really know his stuff. There are posts about restoring black Crossfires.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/

Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

Why disappointed??? I own a detailing business and I like to make things shiny. That rubberized coating isn't a bad idea... sounds like some good insurance against rock chips and what not. If my car wasn't already black I suppose that treatment would give it that rugged allroad look.

The only reason I want to do this is because like I said before, I want to use my a6 for promotional purposes. My plan is to shine it up real nice and take it to shows and club meetings as a kind of driving billboard.

Quick Reply: 2001 to brand spanking new