Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 Body fix questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 Body fix questions

Hey everybody, I have a few questions about fixing some issues on the body of the car and one of my headlights.

I have a 2002 A6 3.0.

First question, along the roof of the car I just discovered some paint bubbling and a little rust spot underneath (I picked at it...)

Bodyshop or sand down, primer, paint and clearcoat myself? Any kits out there to help me?

Second, near the back of the car I have a plastic covering that has turned off white / yello.

Can those be replaced orpainted?

Third, my passenger side headlight has some crap in it. I have no clue what it is. Can I take off my headlight easily and try to clean it or do I spend the $300 to replace it. Can I buy just the exterior of the lens? Note: The black thing is a love bug...

Thanks everybody!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2002 A6 Body fix questions

Let me ease you mind on two of the 3 things. First is the headlight,... it's just a discoloration of the plastic that is common in that year vehicle. You can get headlight polishing kits that will fix it for under $30. Or with some cutting wax, cleaning wax, and polishing compound you can get it done.

Second is the faded plastic. That yellowed plastic was a popular addition to these cars. It's design to deflect rock chips on the highway, and prevent any other paint damage, erosion, etc. You can easily remove it and polish the paint underneath and it will look good as new.

Lastly, the roof thing will need more attention. You need to sand down to bare metal to be sure you completely remove the rust. Following this a primer, base, and clear coat are necessary, but they needed to be properly blended to look good. This is best left to a body shop. Can probably be done for $100.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: reaper

Let me ease you mind on two of the 3 things. First is the headlight,... it's just a discoloration of the plastic that is common in that year vehicle. You can get headlight polishing kits that will fix it for under $30. Or with some cutting wax, cleaning wax, and polishing compound you can get it done.

Second is the faded plastic. That yellowed plastic was a popular addition to these cars. It's design to deflect rock chips on the highway, and prevent any other paint damage, erosion, etc. You can easily remove it and polish the paint underneath and it will look good as new.

Lastly, the roof thing will need more attention. You need to sand down to bare metal to be sure you completely remove the rust. Following this a primer, base, and clear coat are necessary, but they needed to be properly blended to look good. This is best left to a body shop. Can probably be done for $100.
Thanks man. I'm going to call a few body shops in the area tomorrow. I didn't really want to screw with that stuff.

I appreciate the responses! Makes me feel a little better.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

Audi's have a 7 year warranty on rust...you might contact them and see of they will fix it.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: slee22

Audi's have a 7 year warranty on rust...you might contact them and see of they will fix it.
Really? I will contact Audi tomorrow morning. If they fix it, that's awesome...

reaper, do you have a link for that headlight polishing kit?