Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 AM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 with some issues

Hi there,

Sorry for yet another I'm buying a cheap Audi with over 100k miles car please hold my hand thread but I really am in a bind to get a car in the next day or so and this seems like my best option.

I've read the first 30 or so pages of this forum and I'm getting the impression I'm buying something that is going to empty my wallet with repairs. I just need it to run ok for 2 years until I go back home from the US to Ireland. I contacted the guy and asked about recent maintenance and he gave the following info;

"The short answer is yes it’s been recently in for both service and repairs, and there are no major required repairs or maintenance items necessary right now. Basically the full second round of ‘wear part’ maintenance is done and paid for, so it should be good to go.

We are second owners and have had it since Jan 06 as a Certified Pre-Owned with about 40k miles on it. Oil has always been regularly changed and since it was CPO, it had the in depth dealer service through 80k miles. I had the entire new timing belt service done at around 100k miles including all the extras that they recommended while the front was off (water pump, bearing wheels, etc). I also had the serpentine belt replaced at that time. Tires are fine, brakes are fine (don’t remember when I did them last, but it seems like maybe last summer or 2 summers ago), battery was replaced either last thanksgiving or the one before. It also has a full set of new ignition coils as of last spring so they should be good for the next 50-60k – I have replaced them 2x if I recall.

As a bonus, in the past two months I replaced one of the catalytic converters since my wife thought it was sounding a little too Ferrari for a luxury sedan. My mechanic said the other was holding up ok and re-enforced it with glass tape. I kind of wish I would have replaced that one as well since I think the car would sound like new if I had just replaced it, but it’s about a grand for the part and as it is, it sounds fine. The water pump was just replaced again a few weeks ago - I must have gotten a bad rebuilt one when I had the timing belt service done – this one is new.

As for the really minor stuff : The check engine light is on with the code ‘catalytic converter efficiency not optimal’ or some something similar. I was told wasn’t worth fixing because you would need to replace about 4 sensors and the other catalytic to make sure it goes off as they put one fore and aft of each catalytic. There is also an airbag light that I was told is a fault code in the passenger side airbag. That isn’t a very expensive fix if I recall – maybe a few hundred dollars - but I elected not to do it. No major accidents – about 4 or 5 years ago my wife got bumped from behind during stop-and-go belt line traffic (a car that was stopped behind her got hit from behind and bounced into her)- the only damage was the plastic rear fender cover which was replaced.

Happy to answer any additional questions and you are more than welcome to have a mechanic check it out if you get serious about it. If you want the VIN for carfax I would be happy to provide it as well."
Its a private sale for 6k on a 2002 A6 3.0and it has 124k miles on the clock. I took it out for a ride tonight and it seems to be fine bar the engine warning light and the airbag light on the dash. I gave it a good going one on the test drive and it handled everything perfectly. It wasn't exactly quiet to start up but not loud either. Once I was in the car I could not hear it at all really.

Since the guy has listed all the maintenance and can back it up do you experts think that I am crazy to be buying a car this old for this amount of money?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

The check engine seems to be the only problem. It seems to me that the cat. Converter he dint replace is probably bad. It rarely shows up for bad o2 sensors. Also if you want reliable stay away from the 3.0. Buy the 2.8 it's only made until 2001 so buy the 2001. It has 20 fewer hp but is the most reliable engine for that body. I also heard there's a problem with the 3.0's cams. I highly recommend buying the 2.8 a6

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Pre-purchase inspection by an Audi specialkized independent shop is your best bet re not empty your wallet later.
Search the p0421 p0431 regarding the CAT efficiency. Most people think it is ON too early under Audi's narrow ECU spec, actually the CAT is not dead yet.
You may have more info O2 Simulator, mini catalytic Converter cel fix

Don't know where you located. In Massachusetts you probably won't get passed inspection, a must within 7 days purchase registration, with Check Engine light.

Last edited by bigdadi; 09-12-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

so far I agree with everything that has been said. my biggest concern would be the CEL and Airbag lights. Like bigdadi said, you probably will not pass any State's inspection with those lights on.

the price doesn't seem outrageous.

how many miles do you expect to be driving in the next two years while you have it. The further you go the more opportunity for wear and tear problems. these cars are nice but expensive to maintain and repair. if you can keep up with the maintenance et al you will likely be able to recoup a reasonable portion of the purchase cost when you sell it to move back home. if money is an issue, it may be more cost effective to purchase a "beater" and replacing it once or twice with another beater until you leave.

good luck

Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8L engine has less issues than 3.0L

This link has low mileage A6 2001 2.8L Quattro ... looks nice.
71,500 miles new brakes,roters,tires,and new tune up for $7,900
2001 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 71500k

Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

His mechanic taped up the cat? Wonder what else he taped up.

Kudos for asking before you buy. But, I wouldn't. Not that car.

Bob

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
1st Gear
Default I will recommend something like this for your 2 yrs here

2003 Subaru Legacy GT AWD Wagon Leather 1 Owner!

2003 Subaru Legacy GT, leather, $6495

If you are in New England area I can find you home garage Subie expert who can take care the repair at very reasonable price.
Example : Timing belt svc $150 labor + the parts

Subaru is very likely to have head gasket problem (about $1200 to fix), so also need to get pre-purchase inspection.

Last edited by bigdadi; 09-12-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the replies. I know you are going on limited knowledge so I appreciate it.

I went ahead and took it to a mechanic and he checked it out. He said it was fine and the two codes were what the seller had indicated. I asked him worse case scenario if the cat went how much it would cost and he estimated 1200. I could get the parts myself and get someone to do it to make it cheaper. He said it should hold up fine and it won't affect the driving in any way. It is a bit loud but that is compared to a rental 2011 kia sorrento so not bad really in the bigger scheme of things.

Anyways long story short since I had to buy something within 24 hours I figured this was my best bet. I'm based in wisconsin so the areas you guys had cars for was a bit far away. Thank you though for taking the time to do that.

I am now the owner of a 2002 Audi A6 that hopefully will hold up for two years without anything major going wrong

Expect to see a post from me sometime soon crying into my keyboard saying you were al right and I should have listened to you.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by the soon to be crying guy
Expect to see a post from me sometime soon crying into my keyboard saying you were al right and I should have listened to you.
it'll be alright buddy. we'll be here for you when the time comes

congrats on the purchase

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Expect to see a post from me sometime soon....

May be 1, 2 weeks?