Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A6 2.7 Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A6 2.7 Coolant Loss

My 2003 A6 2.7 decided to lose a substantial amount of coolant tonight on my garage floor. The car as 93,000 miles and just had the throttle body hose replaced two weeks ago.

Can someone point me in the right direction to diagnose this problem? The leak seems to be coming from the top front of the engine near the throttle body hose area.

Is there any chance that when the throttle body hose was replaced that it in turn caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

Are you assuming it is coming form the TBB area because you just had it chnaged and that area may be dirty too, OR do you actually see coolant way up there...
Two typical reasons for coolant leak on our cars are:
- Expansion tank. it gets old, yellowish in some areas and cracks, cheap and easy to replace your self. ECS tuning used to sell the tanks for 25 on sale... may be a little more now.
- Auxiliary Water Pump located under the intake. This is very common and will require buying a new pump at about $120-140 and labor unless you DIY. I have heard of guys spending 6hrs to do the job, my mechanic charged me 3 1/2 hrs.

Do you see coolant leaking in the back toward the tranny?
How much coolant did you lose and in how much time?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

I lost about 1/2 of the fluid in the coolant tank tonight after I parked the car in my garage. The loss occurred in probably 30 minutes.

Is there an easy way to determine if the leak is towards the back of the tranny? Sorry, I suspect this is stupid question, but I'm a bit of a novice. Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

check your expansion tank... bottom area...
That's a lot of coolant in 1/2 hr

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

Expansion tank does not show signs of leaks. Is there something else I can check?
Many thanks for your help!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ohammer
My 2003 A6 2.7 decided to lose a substantial amount of coolant tonight on my garage floor. The car as 93,000 miles and just had the throttle body hose replaced two weeks ago.

Can someone point me in the right direction to diagnose this problem? The leak seems to be coming from the top front of the engine near the throttle body hose area.

Is there any chance that when the throttle body hose was replaced that it in turn caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.
cALL ME AT 1-978-761-5582, SOUNDS LIKE THE AFTERRUN COOLANT PUMP OR POSSIBLY THE HOSE YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT. HAVE YOU DONE YOUR TIMING BELT AND WATERPUMP REPLACEMENT YET??? COULD BE THE CAUSE ALSO. WHERE DO YOU LIVE MAYBE i COULD CHECK IT OUT FOR YOU. FRANK..

Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

I dont have the 2.7, I have the 2.8..... but from my experience it was the water pump....

I also lost 1/2 the fluid when the water pump finally gave out...

for about 1 week, i kept noticing more and more coolant on the garage floor, but i kid you not... i could find no signs of where it could have been coming from... from past car experience, and after rulling out the radiator and hoses, i figured it had to be the pump, but Not until I put the car into "service mode" and took the car apart was the problem 100% diagnosed from the water pump... and I did the whole timing belt, pulleys, thermostat and pump all at once...

Good luck, and I hope you or a good friend are mechanically inclined.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear

Aux water pump would be my guess

Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

The dealership has determined that it's the secondary/auxiliary water pump. $630 to fix.

This car is getting very expensive to maintain!!!! I love the car, but I'm not impressed with the quality. My advise to anyone buying this type of Audi is to get the extended warranty... unfortunately mine just ran out!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Hey My Audi Stealership Quoted me around $800 to change my Aux Pump 3 weeks ago. i bought the part on ebay brand new for 85.00 and brought it to my Mechanic at a local shop who works on European cars and he charged me 300.00 and also had him change other hoses under the intake while he was under their. Also by intake gaskets as well purchased mine here 10.00 for both http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2672
My advice is find someone who works on Euro cars and you trust and get them to do it.

Quick Reply: 2003 A6 2.7 Coolant Loss