Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Audi A6 3.0, Need help, with the CHECK signs

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 Audi A6 3.0, Need help, with the CHECK signs

Hello Audi owners,
I have 2003 Audi A6 3.0, with just 67xxx miles on it..Had bought it used when it was 55xxx, two years back...it is black, significantly tinted, lowered a little (Eibach springs ??) ...does not have the sports/solar package...
I enjoy the luxury, feel good about the "wows" and the silent "oh, he has an Audi" from every one around..I really love it... But...

I has begun to suck up a lot of money for the maintenance... I get a Check Sign every now and then and there is always something pending.... I get all the work done usually, but it is high time now... I have been getting quotes for the work for over $1000 now.. I had intended to keep it atleast till it reaches 100K, but i can't afford the maintenance anymore.... I did not know that German cars need so much of maintenance, i had an understanding that they are more robust..
So i need help in deciding whether i should keep my car or get rid of it ( )..

Here is the list of things that i have done from a NON-Dealer but a reputed European car mechanic:
1) Pre-buy check up + first oil change $180
2) Replaced Oxygen sensor (B2, if i am not wrong) cost me $700 (included diagnostic charges, since i had it done at the same place).
3) Change Wiper blades, rear tail light.. $50 + 20
4) Windshield replace (got hit by a stone on a freeway) $250
5) Front Axle leak (sorry to use such bad words, but i am illiterate in this world) $250
6) Check sign --- Cam Shaft sensor replace $50
7) Check sign PENDING - CAM SHAFT problem... quote give around $1000-$1200...told me do it at the time of TIMING BELT replacement...
8) Second Oil change $90
9) Headlight dynamic leveling Error seen sometimes while driving on a freeway.. PENDING since i bought... Quote given $107...

Am i getting ripped of by number 7? first the cam shaft sensor was replaced now the whole cam shaft.... was the sensor replacement never a solution??

Now this is all within 2.5 years.. and I had got the service schedule from Dealer, timing belt replacement is at $105K miles...which is a good thing, but I think i will spend another 5K till i reach there .. Check sign is also ON all the time due to issue 7, so i can't even sell it right away...

Please help me, what should i do.. I would highly appreciate any help ... Please understand that I love my Audi, it still brings a smile/pride on my face, but it is breaking my wallet..

Really looking forward to some kind of help

Last edited by saginus; 04-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by saginus
Hello Audi owners,
I have 2003 Audi A6 3.0, with just 67xxx miles on it..Had bought it used when it was 55xxx, two years back...it is black, significantly tinted, lowered a little (Eibach springs ??) ...does not have the sports/solar package...
I enjoy the luxury, feel good about the "wows" and the silent "oh, he has an Audi" from every one around..I really love it... But...

I has begun to suck up a lot of money for the maintenance... I get a Check Sign every now and then and there is always something pending.... I get all the work done usually, but it is high time now... I have been getting quotes for the work for over $1000 now.. I had intended to keep it atleast till it reaches 100K, but i can't afford the maintenance anymore.... I did not know that German cars need so much of maintenance, i had an understanding that they are more robust..
So i need help in deciding whether i should keep my car or get rid of it ( )..

Here is the list of things that i have done from a NON-Dealer but a reputed European car mechanic:
1) Pre-buy check up + first oil change $180
2) Replaced Oxygen sensor (B2, if i am not wrong) cost me $700 (included diagnostic charges, since i had it done at the same place).
3) Change Wiper blades, rear tail light.. $50 + 20
4) Windshield replace (got hit by a stone on a freeway) $250
5) Front Axle leak (sorry to use such bad words, but i am illiterate in this world) $250
6) Check sign --- Cam Shaft sensor replace $50
7) Check sign PENDING - CAM SHAFT problem... quote give around $1000-$1200...told me do it at the time of TIMING BELT replacement...
8) Second Oil change $90
9) Headlight dynamic leveling Error seen sometimes while driving on a freeway.. PENDING since i bought... Quote given $107...

Am i getting ripped of by number 7? first the cam shaft sensor was replaced now the whole cam shaft.... was the sensor replacement never a solution??

Now this is all within 2.5 years.. and I had got the service schedule from Dealer, timing belt replacement is at $105K miles...which is a good thing, but I think i will spend another 5K till i reach there .. Check sign is also ON all the time due to issue 7, so i can't even sell it right away...

Please help me, what should i do.. I would highly appreciate any help ... Please understand that I love my Audi, it still brings a smile/pride on my face, but it is breaking my wallet..

Really looking forward to some kind of help
You need to post the exact code that was given off by the car. If you do not know go to autozone and have them scan the car for codes for free.

My guess it could be a cam position sensor. But without a code it's hard to diagnose what in the can shaft us wrong.

Have you done the timing belt yet? It may be possible the timing belt may have become loose and jumped a teeth or two. But if the shop were doing the whole timing belt with thermostat and water pump the Quote 1000 is resonable. The 3.0 is a bit harder to work on than the 2.7 in regards to timing belt.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
You need to post the exact code that was given off by the car. If you do not know go to autozone and have them scan the car for codes for free.

My guess it could be a cam position sensor. But without a code it's hard to diagnose what in the can shaft us wrong.

Have you done the timing belt yet? It may be possible the timing belt may have become loose and jumped a teeth or two. But if the shop were doing the whole timing belt with thermostat and water pump the Quote 1000 is resonable. The 3.0 is a bit harder to work on than the 2.7 in regards to timing belt.
Thanks..
Mechanic diagnosed it (checked the code) and told me that i need to change the cam shaft... did not give me the code..
I have not changed the timing belt, as dealer told me it is going to be due at 105K miles, and get it done around 95K miles.. it is only 67K now.
I am not sure if mechanic meant that i should get this fixed when i change the time belt, due its location?
Are you also suggesting the same? Or are you saying timing belt has gone bad

Also, I will call Autozone and see if they do it for free.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Autozone told me that they no longer do it for free in CA.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by saginus
Thanks..
Mechanic diagnosed it (checked the code) and told me that i need to change the cam shaft... did not give me the code..
I have not changed the timing belt, as dealer told me it is going to be due at 105K miles, and get it done around 95K miles.. it is only 67K now.
I am not sure if mechanic meant that i should get this fixed when i change the time belt, due its location?
Are you also suggesting the same? Or are you saying timing belt has gone bad

Also, I will call Autozone and see if they do it for free.
There is no code out there that specifically suggests that cam shafts must be replaced. That's why you need to get the specific code. There are however, codes that suggest the cams might be out of alignment or the cam position sensor is not working.

If you can wait about a week buy a vagcom cable from eBay I got mine for $10 shipped. And it arrived in about a week because I bought it from a USA seller. Buy that and you will be able to diagnose codes and clear codes all day long. Very very helpful IMO. And the software is free at Ross techs website.

Also the timing belt does not go bad. It either works or breaks lol. If it breaks you will most likely need a new engine or a rebuild.

Find a friend or someone or go back to the mechanic and get the code! Without the code you are blinding fixing items that may/may not need attention.

If the camshaft is bad, it makes a loud tickin sound that increases as the Rpms increase. And since the cam shaft itself is mechanical it will not throw a check engine light. But like I said before the other thing that "support" the cam shaft may throw a code if not working properly.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

There is no code out there that specifically suggests that cam shafts must be replaced. That's why you need to get the specific code. There are however, codes that suggest the cams might be out of alignment or the cam position sensor is not working.

If you can wait about a week buy a vagcom cable from eBay I got mine for $10 shipped. And it arrived in about a week because I bought it from a USA seller. Buy that and you will be able to diagnose codes and clear codes all day long. Very very helpful IMO. And the software is free at Ross techs website.

Also the timing belt does not go bad. It either works or breaks lol. If it breaks you will most likely need a new engine or a rebuild.

Find a friend or someone or go back to the mechanic and get the code! Without the code you are blinding fixing items that may/may not need attention.

If the camshaft is bad, it makes a loud tickin sound that increases as the Rpms increase. And since the cam shaft itself is mechanical it will not throw a check engine light. But like I said before the other thing that "support" the cam shaft may throw a code if not working properly.
Thanks a lot..
Will this help me to find and RESET the code too?
New KKL VAG-COM Diagnostic USB Cable interface OBD2 For VW AUDI 409.1 Version | eBay

I do not see a software download for USB-VAGCOM cable at
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear

It's not likely that the camshaft is bad, but it is possible. I would not wait for 105k to change the timing belt and all related tensioners, water pump, t-stat, etc. You are driving a 10 year old car now and age and mileage are both enemies of a rubber belt. It is indeed about $1000-1200 to do the TB correctly. If the dynamic headlight warning icon keeps going on, and the headlights seem to be aimed correctly, pull fuse #10. It disables the leveling and eliminates the icon.

I had to replace the cats on my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0. I still suspect it was an O2 sensor but the dealer did it under warranty (supposedly warranty until 70k miles, but not sure if age applies).

Your repair costs do not seem out of line. But you do not have a lot of miles on that A6. I'm at 204k and already did the TB twice, couple sets of brakes and rotors, etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Link to the USB Vag-COM cable looks good and should be compatible.

Also the software you need is VCDS-lite since that is the free software that will allow you to read most of the codes and clear most of them. However you cannot change any settings or read internal codes.

Here a link to the software: Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download
Here a link for the difference between free and full version: Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

just ordered one... Will get back with the CODE...

New KKL VAG-COM Diagnostic USB Cable interface OBD2 For VW AUDI 409.1 Version | eBay

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
It's not likely that the camshaft is bad, but it is possible. I would not wait for 105k to change the timing belt and all related tensioners, water pump, t-stat, etc. You are driving a 10 year old car now and age and mileage are both enemies of a rubber belt. It is indeed about $1000-1200 to do the TB correctly. If the dynamic headlight warning icon keeps going on, and the headlights seem to be aimed correctly, pull fuse #10. It disables the leveling and eliminates the icon.

I had to replace the cats on my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0. I still suspect it was an O2 sensor but the dealer did it under warranty (supposedly warranty until 70k miles, but not sure if age applies).

Your repair costs do not seem out of line. But you do not have a lot of miles on that A6. I'm at 204k and already did the TB twice, couple sets of brakes and rotors, etc.
So I finally was able to connect it successfully and find the codes.. Below is the VCDS result.. copying the relevant portion:

"3 Faults Found:
19759 - Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G301): Open or Short to Plus
P3303 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
18406 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1998 - 008 - Please Register/Activate
18404 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1996 - 008 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: 0000 0000"

I ran Auto scan which after 3 tests, gave me an error that i need to register and get a license.. I think that is expected, atleast i was able to get this specific code, but it won't work if say i have an electronics error..Anyways, after this was interpreted, I clicked "CLEAR DTCs" and it gave me an error that it will work only with professional license or something..
then i went to individual controller, ran the engine test again..got the same error and after which i was able to CLEAR the FAULT codes.... that is what i learnt...

Now, the main problem.. can you please guys comment on the expense that I am looking at, now that we know the fault code?
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2003 Audi A6 3.0, Need help, with the CHECK signs