Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"2004" A pillar removal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default "2004" A pillar removal???

So I'm in the process of removing my headliner so Boston Driver and I can install my new-to-me alcantara headliner on monday (woo-hoo!).
HOWEVER, my '04 does not have the same "washer-to-cable" setup as all the other write-ups/pictorials on the forums. Instead, mine uses a fabric strap to yank a clip out of the frame. I found it and pulled it on the D pillar and have it removed, but I can't for the life of me see anything on the A pillar!
Does anyone know if it's even there or if I'm just supposed to yank on the F'er for all that's it's worth?? I'm kind of at a loss but I don't necessarily want to snap it in half trying to muscle it out.
Any help?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

I think I figured it out. There are 3 metal clips on the a pillar, and NO cable and NO starp on the front. You just yank the **** out of it, and it snaps out
PITA, but now that I know, it's easy!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear

Yeppper, the A and C pillar covers snap in place pretty tight. You must be having an Avant if you mentioned D pillar.

Anyway, I hope the sunshade clips don't give you much trouble. From what I remember from BD's write-up those suckers are made of thick and rugged plastic, so...watch your knuckles.
By the way, where did you get that Alcantara headliner from? How much?
Oh, another thing: is it fabric or that rugged material easily cleanable?

thanks and good luck.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

No he has a sedan, which technically has a D-pillar. That is what runs along the rear window. The C/D pillar is what surrounds the little triangle window. In 2002, the A6 still had those safety locking clips that required a wire cable to be pulled before the pillar trim came out. They must have removed that in 2003, as the RS6 alcantara setup has no such safety wire. They just made one of the clips longer.

Yes, thos sun visor clips are awful, but I have the right tool for the job. ZDMAK plastic trim pry tools made the job super easy!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

I'm glad to hear you have that removal tool BD! I was laying in bed trying to figure out the easiest way to get at those based on your pics!
Chefro, you'll have to ask BD about the "clean-ability" of the material, as I've never actually seen it in person! In an M5 and R8, yes, but never the RS6 stuff!