Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Audi A6 quattro vibration/problem

Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Default 2005 Audi A6 quattro vibration/problem

My wife has an 05 A6 3.2 Quattro.

When doing turns at very low speeds, like backing out of a parking spot or turning into our driveway, there is a pretty noticeable shudder and noise coming from what seems like the front end. We don't notice it at speed as the turns are not that sharp.

As one who also own a 4x4 Jeep with lockers, it kind of reminds me of a tire scrubbing situation or something in the differentials. I don't know enough about Quattro to determine if this is working as designed or what.

We've had the dealer look at it and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it. I've researched TSB's and recalls and haven't found anything there either. But from my POV, a car of this calibre shouldn't be noisier when turning than my 11 year old Jeep with lockers.

Any input would be truly appreciated. If you need more info, please ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 2005 Audi A6 quattro vibration/problem

well is this when you are like turning from stop because if you think about it quattro is pretty much 4x4 and when you try and turn a 4x4 it makes that shuttering sound ... this is normal to hear it happens to everyone but it shouldnt be happening at high speeds if that what you were saying ... but if you are starting from stop and turning the wheel or just at a low speed liek 5 10 mph then its normal

Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear

I know that you say that you searched through the TSBs. However, I would think that the TSB on the front brake seals may apply. Pasted below is a portion of that TSB.
[align=left]Technical Service Bulletin[/align][align=left]Page 1 of 2[/align][align=left]© 2008 Audi of America, Inc.[/align][align=left]All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of[/align][align=left]America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or[/align][align=left]transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written[/align][align=left]permission of the publisher.[/align][align=left]Brakes make moaning or "muh" noise when accelerating from stop or turning at slow speeds[/align][align=left]47 08 02 2016681/4 April 4, 2008. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 47 number 08-01 dated[/align][align=left]January 22, 2008 to add note concerning acceptable lubricants.[/align][align=left]Model(s) Year VIN Range Vehicle-Specific Equipment[/align][align=left]A4 2005 – 2008 All[/align][align=left]A6 2005 400000 – 999999[/align][align=left]A6 2006 – 2008 All[/align][align=left]FNRG Brakes[/align][align=left]Condition[/align][align=left]“Muh†sound or moaning noise coming from the front brakes (FNRG) in the following conditions:[/align][align=left]• Slowly pulling away after a stop.[/align][align=left]• While turning at low speeds.[/align][align=left]The performance of the brakes is not compromised.[/align][align=left]Technical Background[/align][align=left]The pistons in the calipers in certain vehicles may not retract far enough, which may leave contact between the[/align][align=left]rotor and pad. This contact may cause a “muh†sound or moaning noise in low speed conditions.[/align][align=left]Production Solution[/align][align=left]New caliper piston seals have been developed to allow the pistons to retract further.[/align][align=left]Service[/align][align=left]Install the new caliper piston seal (Part No. 4E0 698 471 A) according to the instructions in Repair Manual >>[/align][align=left]Chassis >> 47 Brakes – Hydraulic components >>Front Brake Calipers >>Front Brake Caliper Piston FN3,[/align][align=left]Removing and Installing.[/align]
Note:

Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

how many miles? you think your tie rod ends might be the problem?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

i have a vibration but i think it may be my alignmentbc my wheel is shaking but its only from liek 50-75mph could it be anything else liek tierods or brakes or should i get the car align ... i had all my new wheels balanced

Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

yes
it could be: rim, tire, combination, alignment???, tie rod end, control arm, brakes.. rust on hub

Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear

crap ... well i mean im going to get it aligned because that is the cheapest ... but i have 70k and i took it in for service and the guy said tie rods were fine ... my breaks are friggin horrible they squeak when im not even on the pedal ... but im changin them out this weekend (new brembros 3000 bucks or u could call it wishfull thinking for the k04 upgrade bc ill need them to stop lol) how would i spot a bad control rod or tie rod end or rust on teh hub ... ??? ill have everything off this weekend so id like to check then

thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Yeah, it happens at low speeds only. I realize the Quattro is essentially a 4x4/AWD setup, but even my 97 Jeep Wrangler doesn't scrub like that. I DO have lockers (not LSD), but they are not engaged on the road.

So are you telling me that the LSD feature of the front differential is what is causing this issue?

The A6 is a 2005 with 45k on it. Tires have less than 10k on them (and it did this when they were brand new as well). Brakes are wearing evenly with no warp or pull at all. I have not checked the TRE's or anything like that personally, but steering is very precise and is very sharp to respond to steering input, so I doubt that is an issue here.

I'll consider having them look at that brake TSB, but don't think that is really the noise being made.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

hopefully it isnt anything with the quattro because that is big bucks

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

You need to have the tie rod ends inner and outter checked, as well as all control arms and bushings... mine drove well aside from that small vibration and sound in some situations...

YOU must elimintae the variois possibilities one at a time, we are sharing with you ideas, experiences... talke advantage of them