AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   2006 Audi A6 Tires!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/2006-audi-a6-tires-164538/)

sttrebo 02-22-2011 09:01 AM

actually the bfg's and conti's are both 94's. didn't know that audi recommended 97

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

thanks for the info though.

ppgoal 02-22-2011 05:58 PM

I'm on my third set of Pirelli P6 Four Seasons P235/45-R17 which is a great all season tire. I got 49k miles out of the second set, with proper inflation and rotation every 5-6k miles. I also put a set of Coopers P235/40-R18 on a custom rim and they wore badly even after two alignments. I replaced them with Conti Extreme Contacts and have over 12k miles of summer driving on them with no problems. Neither set were cheap, but I think I paid around $750-800 otd.

audia6s 02-23-2011 10:40 AM

Pirelli P6 four season are 93 load index instead of 97. Seems like Audi recommends 97. What do you think? Thanks

hxgaser 02-23-2011 11:56 AM

You ask 10 people for tire recommendation, then you will get 20 different answers.

One question...

What do you want out of the tires? Noise and comfort issue? Performance/grip? Winter/wet traction? Longevity? Can't say all of the above though...

ppgoal 02-23-2011 08:32 PM

I never paid attention to the ratings on my Pirellis because they were oem tires. I doubt Audi would have put a sub-standard tire on a $50k car. And the guy who first owned it had traded an S4 for it, so he knew his way around Audis. I allegedly had the car to 150 mph one night on these tires.

joshlowe 02-24-2011 10:42 PM

My summer tires is a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 255/45/18 on my 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro. However, these tires are HORRIBLE in the snow. Horrible stopping, accelerating, everything. I got stuck in 2" of snow in them.

After a big snow storm I bought a second set of wheels and put the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. They perform so much better on snow and ice. Snow tires make a huge difference.

roadrune 02-25-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by joshlowe (Post 1290569)
My summer tires is a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 255/45/18 on my 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro. However, these tires are HORRIBLE in the snow. Horrible stopping, accelerating, everything. I got stuck in 2" of snow in them.

After a big snow storm I bought a second set of wheels and put the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. They perform so much better on snow and ice. Snow tires make a huge difference.

You do know that Pilot Sport is a SUMMER tyre?

Tires for all-year use is useless on everything... Here in Norway, most people have to sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter, and non of them are any good for the wrong season.

reaper 02-25-2011 05:24 PM

Tires

Without a doubt if you can swing the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ that would be the best way to go. I work in the industry and have had all types of tires on my A6, these are by far my favorites. Quiet, comfortable, grippy, and they look good to boot. If the price on those is out of range, consider getting the Continental Conti-Extreme Contact DWS. Those were among the best rated by all of the consumer reporting agencies, etc.

As for the load index and speed rating. Spee rating is the most important part, load index will have very little effect on you. Your car will require a V or higher rated performance tire. Tire Rack will list them as Ultra-High Performance. The Pilots should be a Y rated tire, and most others that you consider will be V,Y, or W. If you have any questions that you need answered message me, I can set you down the right path.

P.S. Prior to the Michelins I had the Goodyear Eagle GT's on my car. Fantastic looking and driving tire. It is a stiffer tire that will provide slightly more road noise and a stiffer ride, but it was still barely perceptible as far as I am concerned. Those tires were great while I owned them. A few important things to note, tires like those, and others with largest gaps in the tread will be more prone to wear from mis-alignment.

As far as the Korean branded tires like the Hankooks, Kumhos, etc. Please stay miles and miles away. You are wasting your time and hard earned money. I watch people decide to cheap out on tires every day and they are always back a year or two later with them worn oddly, complaints, etc. Please dont make that mistake.