Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 A6 C6 4.2 Cranked But Wouldn't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default 2007 A6 C6 4.2 Cranked But Wouldn't Start

2007 A6 C6 4.2 Quattro, 34,000 miles. Bought it used a month ago with no problems until now. Car stalled at slow speed while decelerating for a stop light. Would crank but not start. Towed to dealership and the next morning they could not duplicate -- started right up for them.

Diagnostics showed a T310B error code (fuel pressure) occurred at the same time the car stalled. Dealer at a loss as to how to proceed since T310B does not lead to a specific component and no new codes are being shown now.

Dealer says they don't want to "throw parts at it" at this point. (At what point they would be willing to do that remains unclear.)

Car still under warranty.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Joe Mazza
- 1970 Audi 100LS (Worst car ever made.)
- Many trouble free and long lasting BMW's.
- 2007 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (What was I thinking?)

Last edited by Joe Mazza; 11-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

they would be happy to throw parts at it at your cost i am sure . It is not your problem if they don't kow what to do, it is Audis .. I have been troubleshooting things for decades and one Axiom always holds true with intermitent problems .. if you do nothing you are no closer to fixing it . ask to speak to the manager and voice your concern .. what hapens if it does it agaimn ? who pays for your inconvienience as they did NOTHING to rememdy the situation .. bet he changes the fuel pump real fast ..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

Obviously it didn't get enough fuel. The dealer is waiting to see if the issue comes back. Although the issue could have been simple vapor lock, I really doubt that things like that happen to newer cars. You probably have an issue with your fuel pump or some electrical glitch.

I would take the car back this time, but would ask them to make a note on the history. Be sure to keep a copy of the memo. Ask the dealer the be sure to cover the issue even if your warranty runs out. When the same thing happens next time, then take it back to the dealer and demand a repair. Note that this is the second occurrence. Furthermore, mention that sudden loss in power is a safety hazard, and they should not be playing with someone's safety. You will get a response once you mention the word, "safety".

Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Theiceman
I have been troubleshooting things for decades and one Axiom always holds true with intermitent problems .. if you do nothing you are no closer to fixing it.
So true, and that was my point to the service manager.

He says he wanted to drive the car around today to see if it throws the code again. (Eh?) I asked him, If it does throw a code again what more would you know then than you already know now: that there's an intermittent stalling/starting problem? He seemed unable to answer that, except to say they're still considering their options.

Arrrrrgggghhh

Joe

Last edited by Joe Mazza; 11-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

I would say be patient and let them work at it for a bit. Be reasonable in your requests. Make sure the stall is documented. File a complaint with the NHTSA in case it is a common problem.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
I would say be patient and let them work at it for a bit.
I'm trying, but it seems pretty clear to me that they're not going to do anything until they see a code that leads to a specific component. Well, I don't know why they expect to see that magic code the next time when only a generic one appeared the last time.

Here's a scenario: They take the car out today and it stalls in the middle of the traffic. They try to start it with no luck and have to push it off the road and call for their tow truck to get it back to the shop. (Lucky for them, their truck arrives before the predatory police-contracted towers do and charge them a fortune.) When it gets back to the shop, it starts up again. What then? My guess would be that at that point they'd say, hummmm, something really seems to be wrong here. I wouldn't like to go through THAT again! Maybe we better figure out a way to fix this without that magic code.

My point is that's precisely what has already happened, only to me, not them.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Mazza; 11-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear
Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Kevin.

I saw those elsewhere, but they looked to me like they refered only to false codes being generated.

My problem is not that there's a false code being shown, but a real one!

Am I reading that right?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

While I'm at it...

I also asked them to look at the Adaptive Headlights. I've owned the car for a month and have seen no evidence in that time that the lights move at all. Nothing obvious on the road, and no movement at all on my garage wall when I turn the steering wheel. The dealer says they're okay, but work so subtlety as to be undetectable by the driver. My question is, If their operation is undetectable, why have them as an option at all?

Also asked them to replace the faded chrome trim on the doors below the windows. (It looks white now instead of chrome, and no longer matches the rest of the chrome window surround trim.) They said the trim is considered a "wear item" and not covered by the warranty at this point.

Last edited by Joe Mazza; 11-24-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

The Adaptive Headlights are noticeable if they are working. However, they do not move if the car is stationary. I suggest that you take the car out on a side street and drive like James Bond. You should be able to see them working.

Quick Reply: 2007 A6 C6 4.2 Cranked But Wouldn't Start