Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Annoying Problems. Been trying to fix for weeks. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default 3 Annoying Problems. Been trying to fix for weeks. Please help!

Hi Guys, first let me give you some detail of what Audi A6 I have.
I got a 1998 Audi A6 Sedan Quattro. 2.8L 30V V6 Engine. With original Cassatte Tape Player with non-bose system. I only have speakers/tweeter on the both front and rear doors, but I don't think the rear deck.

Some work I did in history within the past 2 months: changed MAF sensor, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, replaced all vaccum host and changed coolant temp sensor.

[:'(] First Problem:
Whenever I drive for a while, or I push my car harder like faster acceleration, or up to 4500 RPM. (like driving harder), after a while, usually around 30mins or sometimes 15 mins, depending on how I drive, when I stopped the car at red light, I will start smelling burning rubber type smell, (I am thinking maybe burning engine oil) but if I put the air circulation to close I don't smell it. when I am outside the car, I smell it too and also when I open the hood. I also see some type of smoky type thing out of the engine bay. What is wrong? any idea guys?

[&:] Second Problem:
Whenever I startup my car (usually and mostly when cold start) but if the weather is too cold like below 30F, no sound. but if like the weather recently, above 35F to like 50F, when I start my car.. 50% of the time I will hear... WEEEEEEEEWEEEE.. very high pitch sound, and is LOUD! I did searches before, and I flushed the power steering fluid with new ones from Audi. and no leaks at all. it usually last for like 10-30sec and it is gone. any one? Please help!

[:-] Third Problem:
Recently, I am sick of the Cassatte Player, so I changed to a Sony MP3/CD player. MD8100X. I rewired the cables in the console to my sony player. I also replaced the rear both door speaker with Sony 4 way speakers. but now, when I play, not all the time, but I believe when the sound is different for right and left (stereo), rear speakers make like (plar..plar...sound) sound like blown speakers. but they are brand new. Also even with my old tape player originally. rear speaker is making that noise already. It only happen when I turn the volume to a certain level.. not too loud..but like volume 3 out of 10. Funniest thing is, when I change the balance on my CD player to only left or right completely, it trigger this loud noise eaiser (like 2 out of 10 volume) and both speakers at the rear has the noise(including tweeter also) even I only put the balance to only right or left. Any help?
I think maybe is the amplifer is bad? I didn't rewire the audio cable from HU to the rear speakers, I try not to go into too much trouble. if it is the amp, I rather just remove it. But I cannot find it. not at the rear door. I looked at every spot of both rear door. And it's not on the stock speaker. Any one know where is the amp? and what caused the noise?

Sorry for the really long post!
Thanks all. appreciated the help!
Hope to get this fixed soon!
Gil

Old 01-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Default RE: 3 Annoying Problems. Been trying to fix for weeks. Please help!

check pass. side engine comparment the one close to the windsheald,behinde the head there is a cam shaft sensor see if there is oil leaking there.than go to driver side but this time in the front where the radiator is.check the head it has the same sensor see if you have oil leak there.most likeley this is going to be the oil burned smell you have. if there is nothing check under the car and see where is the wet spot and let me know so i can guide you

Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

The above response sounds like the likely cause of your first concern. As for your second concern, it is probably a noisy secondary air pump. You can try unplugging it to see if the noise goes away.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Thanks alot guys for the quick response.

For the Cam shaft sensor, do I have to remove any cover to see it?
For the secondary Air injector pump, can you point me to where it is?

I do have the Bentley Manual, but somehow I am having problem finding where they are.
Anyhelp will be greatful! Thanks.

How about the 3rd problem? any one know any ideas?

Thanks all.
Greatly appreciated!
Gil

Edit:
Is a Cam Tensioner Seal same as the cam shaft sensor?
Another person said it can be the Cam Tensioner Seal that will cause that smell.

Can someone please tell me where is the cam tensioner? is it within the timing belt cover? how to check it and get to it?
Thanks again guys!
Gil

Old 01-15-2006, 02:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Where is the Cam Chain Tensioner Seal?

Hi Guys, can someone pleaes tell me where is the cam chain tensioner seal is?

I cannot find it in my Bently CDs.

this is all I can find:
http://www.geocities.com/gilee_8/audi/chain.JPG

But I do'nt think it is, coz you guys said it's a seal, that I have to replace the entire tensioner, and seems a very LONG work job.

is changing the cam chain tensioner seal a quick job? like an hr to 2? or something related to timing belt things?

Thanks all!
Gil

Old 01-15-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Where is the Cam Chain Tensioner Seal?

That picture is for a new 4.2 V8

The cam tensinor is on the rear of the cyl head on pass side

And on the fron of head on the driver side

Well it is a quick job if you know the secret, (which i wont tell you cause you would really mess everything up)

Without the secret it involves removing the cams and is not a DIY

Old 01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Can I know the secret?

Thanks alot!
I really don't want to spend the amount of money for someone to do it.
Anyhelp will be appreciated!
Gil

Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure the smell is oil?, I have a strange smell too, the I realize it was cooling fluid coming from some old hose, is going to the shop next week

Old 01-27-2006, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

It's easy if you know what youre doing,if you havn't done it before don't take the chance because just like "gilee_8" said you can really F@*k the car.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

For problem 3 it sounds like you may have some of your wires crossed behind your head unit going to your rear speaker. Make sure the pair going to one side is not mixed up with the pair going to the other. As far as an Amp , Iam pretty sure that there is not one unles you put it in yourself. The HU probably has a built in Amp. Is that what your talking about. As for the smell just to make sure check your CV boots for tears or leaking grease cause I had a torn boot and I could smell the grease burning sometimes .

Quick Reply: 3 Annoying Problems. Been trying to fix for weeks. Please help!