Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2L Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 4.2L Mods

im having issues finding mods for the 2001 4.2L V8. im mainly looking for some easy bolt on's and an exhaust. are there just not many mods for this model?

Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 4.2L Mods

There aren't as many for the 4.2 as there are for the 2.7.

As far as the engine goes... the 2.7T -- because of the turbos -- can be modified in a number of ways (chipping the ECU to increase boost, changing turbos, etc.) that the 4.2 cannot. One thing you may want to check out is the transmission recode (see the "tiptronic a6" post in this forum).

As far as the exterior/cosmetics... the 4.2 already has the door blades and the wheel flares. You can add a spoiler (Audi RS6 and BMW M3 spoilers -- both OEM -- are the most popular ones) and/or change your wheels. Do a search on the forum and you'll find plenty of discussion on these topics. If you really want to go nutty, you can go with more extensive body mods through various aftermarket players, but generally, the quality will not be up to OEM snuff.

If you do not have the sport suspension, there's tons to do there. H-sport sway bars will be the best money you can spend to improve suspension performance. If your budget allows, you can also go with coilovers and stiffer shocks.

As far as exhaust goes, a search on the forum will reveal your options. I know sombody (a contributor to this forum with the screen name Boston Driver) who put an RS6 exhaust on his 4.2. LOTS of growl from that corner of the world these days. He's know more about 4.2 exhaust options than I.

Finally, there are interior mods. Upgrading to sport seats (if you can find them -- the afore-mentioned Boston Driver might be selling some soon) is a common thing if you do not already have them. (BTW, mod recommendations will always depend on your starting point so you need to provide more details about how you car is currently set up.) If you already have the sport seats, upgrading to Euro Recaros is another thing you'll see the occasional person do.

Finally, check out Stoney's links (see my sig) for more ideas. Lots of good reading there to give you ideas.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply, i got the 4.2 with the sport options.what are some good sites for performance audi parts?

Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear

www.goapr.com
www.awe-tuning.com
www.lltek.com
www.claireparts.com

And check Stoney's Links -- there a LOT in there on parts & mods.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

are there any intake systems or exhaust out there for the 4.2L? i cant seem to find anything

Old 06-28-2006, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

There are a few performance mods out there, but not that many. Aside from the suspension (upgrade to coilovers and H-sport sways), the only other things are exhaust and maybe a tiptronic chip for quicker shifts. Oh, and brakes, brakes are always a good upgrade, but pricey.

I have not yet done the coilovers (planning on it soon), but I have done the H-sports...BIG improvement over stock for cornering and handling. I have done the exhaust, but this is the sound-enhanced setup from an RS6. Going rate for a setup like that is about $500-600 used, if you can even find a set. Other than that, everything else has been pretty much consmetic or electrical.

Here is my registry page on AudiWOrld, which lists everything I have done to the car to-date:
Boston Driver's AudiWorld Registry Page

Old 06-29-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Boston Driver.....great car/ registry, thanks.

i found an intake but not sure of the company, here's the link....... http://tuningcarparts.com/