Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Audi A6 (loaded, blah blah) with 193k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Default '96 Audi A6 (loaded, blah blah) with 193k miles.

Assuming that the car runs (and looks) great as of right now. Would I be completely wasting my money buying this car w/ so many miles on it.

I know Audi is a subgroup of VW, and I have always thought VW makes good quality cars, still.

Guy says he is putting a new timing belt in it now, but other than that, he claims it runs great. (I of course would take a drive before even considering).

Lastly, he wants like $3000 usd for it. Even if I could get it for $2000, would I still be crazy for buying it?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: '96 Audi A6 (loaded, blah blah) with 193k miles.

its a 1996 car so Ill guess many parts have been renewed the mileage represents that so does it have service history or receipts?? if it does its a good deal depending on condition

Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear

There's an adage portraying the "free or open market":

"He who asks for a price is not crazy, but the one who pays that price".

Having said that, I purchased nearly 2 years back a 1995 A6 with 151k miles on the clock for $ 2400 and I spent as much (if not more) in "maintenance" and replacing various parts ever since (necessary tools I lacked are factored in the expenditures):
fixed broken moonroof, timing belt + tensioner, rollers + water pump; accessory belt; valley pan gasket; coils pack; head gaskets; exhaust and intake gaskets; valve cover gaskets; camshaft seals, window regulators, interior pillar broken covers, map/reading lights, mooonroof/light cover plate; heater core, ignition switch, fuel filter, transmission fluid, and many, many more petty little things.
Would I buy it again? YES - although not without a rigurous test drive and a thorough inspection.
PRICELESS would be the accurate (and not meaningless as in the credit card commercials) descriptor for how much mechanical knowledge I gained since owning this car, more than in 30 previous years combined.

Even though is not flashy and sharp looking as newer models, this crappy C4 still turns heads and the "kick-down" acceleration feature makes me feel "alive and kicking" when getting pissed at stupid drivers on the road... 11 k miles later the car runs pretty good.
As techbod said it ("depending on the condition") I would definitely pay 3 grand for a 96 with the paint still shinny, with changed TB and no leaks...

Good luck

Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

C4 could be quite reliable car.
The transmission takes Dextron and usually shifts much better and is trouble free than the notorious Tiptronics.
The timing belt could be done in different ways - look for the parts list.
As for oil- leaks- free car - hard to believe one exists. Just use the leaks to bargain and do not fix them.
Test the AC/heating functionality as repairs are costly.
Make sure you have spare keys.
Look for uneven wear on tires; various hoses replacement history.
Code for the radio.
Is it cloth? or leather?
Is it a quattro?
Is it 2.8?
Brakes?
It might be effective to have an inspection and then bargain the price.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

The price is a bit high at $3,000 but close if the TB is done and most of the other things look OK. You can expect another $1,000 in repairs over the next year -IF you do the work yourself.

250 or 300K is possible with an Audi if your lucky -
Bottom line Maybe - you pays your money and takes your chances..

You'll need VagCom, Bentley, the tel number for Force Five, Showkan etc, a friendly mechanic that understands Audis, and patience.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

I think a long test ride and checking every feature/accessory would help, plus a good visual inspection top, engine, and bottom. Will it be trouble free -- no! Will it be a pretty nice car for $2-3k -- yes. Having someone who knows Audis inspect it would be a good ~$100 investment. At least someone who can spot obvious engine, transmission, or suspension issues. Otherwise caveat emptor. I've got the notoriously short-lived 2.7T and it is still fine at 176k. Did replace the clutch and alternator and the internal temperature insists on reading in centigrade, but otherwise it has been rock solid.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

Looks like 4 years old thread - dead end.
Chefro responded, others as well-> no point to go on!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

lol..

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Site Moderator

Damn chefro dropped the ball on that one, he pulled a NOOB mistake! Its against the rulez!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear

Haven't logged in for some good months before posting on this one... The "default" for threads displaying as far as chronology was changed so I didn't pay attention to the date.
Don't sweat it... unless you have no flaws in your life...

Quick Reply: '96 Audi A6 (loaded, blah blah) with 193k miles.