Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Avant Q poor in snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default 97 Avant Q poor in snow!

We had an opportunity to try my 97 Avant quarto in the snow yesterday and it would not go! My 89 200QT or 88 90Q never had this problem! My wife’s 2006 Mini-van even went OK.

My neighbor was helping me clear the driveway. He started the Avant and pressed on the accelerator, but it didn’t move! I had to explain to him that he needed to put it in reverse to go backwards and drive to go forwards.

It’s Ok because he’s a transplant from the Kentucky hills and has just learned how to wear shoes. He still talks a bit funny and thinks that shine is something you drink – not what you do to your shoes.

Seriously – The Avant was fantastic.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 97 Avant Q poor in snow!

thats crazy,how deep was the snow,my friend has a similiar model as yours and a couple years prior in New York he was killin it in the snow

Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

i put mine on a hill without locking the rear end, and floored it, and it didnt even slip...

Old 12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

Please re-read my post -- The A6 will go through almost anything.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

We had an opportunity to try my 97 Avant quarto in the snow yesterday and it would not go! My 89 200QT or 88 90Q never had this problem! My wife’s 2006 Mini-van even went OK.

My neighbor was helping me clear the driveway. He started the Avant and pressed on the accelerator, but it didn’t move! I had to explain to him that he needed to put it in reverse to go backwards and drive to go forwards.

It’s Ok because he’s a transplant from the Kentucky hills and has just learned how to wear shoes. He still talks a bit funny and thinks that shine is something you drink – not what you do to your shoes.

Seriously – The Avant was fantastic.
[:-]sounds like you dont like your neighbor so why ask him for help or stop him from helping you

Old 12-07-2007, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

Please don't put words in my mouth -- I have enough trouble with my foot getting in the way!

I like my neighbor. He keeps things interesting with his lapses in judgement and hill country logic.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM

questionable attitude but thats life

Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear

Here is the latest info about my neighbor from Ky.

It snowed here in NH last night and this AM I found my neighbor and his wife in the trees at the front of my house trying to get his 4X4 back on the road. It seems that he could get the truck moving out of his driveway but couldn’t stop or turn when he hit the icy road. His wife had a chain attached between his tractor and the pickup and was trying to pull him out. (I still can’t figure out why he bought a tractor because our lots are wooded and only 3 acres each.) She was not budging his truck so I offered to see if my A6 Q Avant would be better. We connected the chain to the Audi and I pulled him out without a problem. My only concern was that he would hit my car when he got out but he didn’t.

Now he can’t understand why a “family station wagon has more power” than his super-duper tractor. In addition, he is upset that he insisted his company get him a 4X4 pickup (AKA Country Cadillac) instead of a “Snooty Yankee vehicle”. Someday I’ll let him know that it is German!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Hilarious. What tires do you have on you Avant?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

It has 16" Michelin Pilot Exaltos -only because I got a good deal on them.
I actually prefer Yokohamas. The Avid TRZ and T4 are very good and the Avan S.4 is fantastic.

The Yoko TRZ is the best kept secret in the tire world - inexpensive, good milage, fantastic grip, andexcellent ride.

Quick Reply: 97 Avant Q poor in snow!