Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 A6 Tiptronic magnet missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Default '99 A6 Tiptronic magnet missing

The magnet on Tiptronic shift (right side) fell out of cradle in plastic component and does not work. I pulled cover off and see the worn area that allowed magnet to fall out, but do not know where to get the three plastic "leaves" that fit around the shifter - or more specifically, what to call them. This whole process would be easier if I could figure out how to pull shift **** off! Anyone have suggestions for either issue?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: '99 A6 Tiptronic magnet missing

Do you have a repair manual?
There is shiny sleve right below the shift **** - you should pres it down with a flat screw driver. Then you pull out the side button - it will not come out, you just have to pull it as far aut as possible and then pull the whole **** off. Do not release the button, after the **** is off it will go in all the way and will be difficult to get out.
When putting back, pull button out again, push the **** on the lever and pull up the sleve.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't have a repair manual. Never spent the money - so many repairs to this car I couldn't decide whether to keep it or not. Still not sure. Your instructions had the shift **** off in about 30 seconds - thanks. I will try to order parts with dealer tomorrow to fix Tiptronic shift. Dealer wanted it for two hours to tell me what it would take to fix. All it appears to take is about 15 minutes and three small parts. Unfortunately they are dealer only parts so this should be interesting$$

Thanks for the clear instructions.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 AM
SSn
1st Gear

No problem, actually I just found out how to pull the **** myself yesterday. I'm doing major cleaning under the center console. =)

How expensive the parts are? I would try to shop around for used ones. Or you can always become more creative and try to do your own magnet holder, perhaps just glue the magnet back to the old leaf somehow. It may not look original though %)

Too bad you are having troubles with the car. Unfortunatelly I do too. Got my car 3 month ago (98 A6 2.8) already spent 2000$ in parts for repair, still not everything is fixed. But, I'm patient, I'll get it!

Good luck fixing your issues..

Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM

The corrugated rubber flap with standard shift magnet and 3 leaf set with Tiptronic magnet was $60. The Audi schematic did not show the Tiptronic leaf/magnet but the technician assured me it would be part of the assembly. Will see in a couple of days. It takes about 10 minutes to install.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

WOW, plz !!! Can u make some pic of how u do repair? I have same problem. My tiptronic does not work at all after i get my audi from dealer because i had oil leak !!!They say, thats happend by itself !!! They gave me just some small broken plastic parts (no bigger then matches head).LOL. I never had problem withthat before. Anyway, i have tofix it.I love shift it by my self

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

Check out this link it will give you a detailed explanation w/pics
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/705947.phtml

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

hmm, i thik, thats not my problem They gave me some smol broken plastic parts.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:06 AM
SSn
1st Gear

I think all tiptronic stuff is under the shift lever, everything else is inside the transmission. So unless they gave you some things from inside, take apart the shift lever and see what's missing. Basically there is a michroscheme and some magnetic contacts there.
Also, if you like to "shift it by your self" get a 5 speed.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

WOW, i got it. Today i was fishing but no hit. So, i had some free time to spend with it. I have the same problem. I missing tiptronic magnet. I think, i need to order all that rubber stuf (there is two of those with two magnets).

THX for help. Tomorrow waiting for call from EU audi to order the part ).

Quick Reply: '99 A6 Tiptronic magnet missing