Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7L Battery Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
eh6
1st Gear
Default A6 2.7L Battery Replacement.

Hey Guys, First time poster.

My car hasn't been started since the fall. I'm an idiot and neglected it for about 3 months outside in the cold. It only starts with a boost but it won't restart once its dead. Looks like my battery is dead. I also don't have my radio code and noticed its looked now when the car is on.

How difficult is the replacement of the battery, and does anyone know specifically what type of battery I need?

Also how do i find out the battery code? Should i just call the dealer.

Also just noticed one of my tires has a ******* **** wart (puncture).

One more thing, last time i got the car up and running again a C.E.L came up.

Its one ******* thing after another.

Any advice

Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

You can either go to the dealer, or a local auto parts store to get a battery. I work for Advance Auto and we carry them (well my store discontinued them recently but idk about other stores where you are).

Replacing isn't too bad, you just remove the black plastic cover and rubber trim..should slide out pretty easily. The battery itself just has a bracket you loosen up.

You should be able to get the battery code at the dealer. I dont know how Audi dealers work, but my sister drives a honda and I just went up to the dealer, showed them proof of ownership and all they needed was the VIN number.

C.E.L. could be anything. Again just take it to a local auto parts store and they should have a scanner to do a free check on what code it is.

oh and btw, the battery is not cheap...expect to spend AT LEAST $100 for a replacement at a local auto store.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

ah6,

What year is your car? The battery location is different on different years, apparently. My 97 and all before that but the Diesels had the battery under the rear seat.

How long do you run the car when you boost it to start? Long enough to give it some charge? Ever put a 30 buck charger on it and let it charge overnight?

Next time you start it, look at the BATT meter, see if it's in the 14 volt or so range, either let it run long enough to give it SOME charge, takes almost forever to really charge it that way, and some gas. Better a 10 AMP charger overnight.

Charge the batt, fix the flat, take it to Advance, as Tex says. They'll check the batt and charging system for free. If they flunk the batt, they'll install a new one free of labor.

I think you will find a range of 70 to 100 for the batt. Buy the best you feel you can afford.

Why did you lose the radio code? Mine was in the garage for nearly 2 months with the batt disconnected for engine replacement, when over, the radio worked. I thought the radio had to be pulled, read stolen, to lose the code.

Cheers,

George

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM
eh6
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sumguyfromtx86
You can either go to the dealer, or a local auto parts store to get a battery. I work for Advance Auto and we carry them (well my store discontinued them recently but idk about other stores where you are).

Replacing isn't too bad, you just remove the black plastic cover and rubber trim..should slide out pretty easily. The battery itself just has a bracket you loosen up.

You should be able to get the battery code at the dealer. I dont know how Audi dealers work, but my sister drives a honda and I just went up to the dealer, showed them proof of ownership and all they needed was the VIN number.

C.E.L. could be anything. Again just take it to a local auto parts store and they should have a scanner to do a free check on what code it is.

oh and btw, the battery is not cheap...expect to spend AT LEAST $100 for a replacement at a local auto store.
I'll call around today and see if i can find a cheap battery, $100 is no big deal, i wast thinking it would be around $300 at the dealer

Originally Posted by gmatov
ah6,

What year is your car? The battery location is different on different years, apparently. My 97 and all before that but the Diesels had the battery under the rear seat.

How long do you run the car when you boost it to start? Long enough to give it some charge? Ever put a 30 buck charger on it and let it charge overnight?

Next time you start it, look at the BATT meter, see if it's in the 14 volt or so range, either let it run long enough to give it SOME charge, takes almost forever to really charge it that way, and some gas. Better a 10 AMP charger overnight.

Charge the batt, fix the flat, take it to Advance, as Tex says. They'll check the batt and charging system for free. If they flunk the batt, they'll install a new one free of labor.

I think you will find a range of 70 to 100 for the batt. Buy the best you feel you can afford.

Why did you lose the radio code? Mine was in the garage for nearly 2 months with the batt disconnected for engine replacement, when over, the radio worked. I thought the radio had to be pulled, read stolen, to lose the code.

Cheers,

George
The Car is 01. I'll go to my local car parts store and look for the battery or a battery charger. The car was driven for 45minutes and running for an hour.

Also I never had the radio code to begin with, i bought the car used and there was no manual. I'm pretty sure when you disconnect your battery(or it dies) the radio stays on safe mode. I'll call the dealer and see what they say.

thanks a lot for your help guys.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
eh6
1st Gear

Alright, this is going to be newbish, but I have never had to use a battery charger before. So all I do is connect it to the posts on the battery and leave it for a couple hours?

How will I know if its completely charged?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by eh6
Alright, this is going to be newbish, but I have never had to use a battery charger before. So all I do is connect it to the posts on the battery and leave it for a couple hours?

How will I know if its completely charged?
More like overnight...!
The charger will have an Amp meter and the value shown will decrease as the battery gets charged.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eh6
I'll call around today and see if i can find a cheap battery, $100 is no big deal, i wast thinking it would be around $300 at the dealer

The Car is 01. I'll go to my local car parts store and look for the battery or a battery charger. The car was driven for 45minutes and running for an hour.

Also I never had the radio code to begin with, i bought the car used and there was no manual. I'm pretty sure when you disconnect your battery(or it dies) the radio stays on safe mode. I'll call the dealer and see what they say.

thanks a lot for your help guys.
I just replaced my battery today for my 97 A6 Quattro. The battery was located under the rear seat for me. You have to unscrew 2 phillip screws that are right under the seat on each side passenger side. And you'll need a socket wrench and a extension to get the the bolt that holds a black bracket in place that keeps the battery stable.

I personally took my battery to Sears Auto (since it had a Sears sticker on it) and the battery was $134 for a Die Hard International.

I never replaced my battery before took me about 20 minutes to figure it all out by sight.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Meticode
And you'll need a socket wrench and a extension to get the bolt that holds a black bracket in place that keeps the battery stable.
13 metric- socket

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM
eh6
1st Gear

Ok, just bought the battery from Audi.

It came to $200 after tax (Canadian) Sigh.. oh well.

Going to bring it to a mechanic for an oil change. and get the battery put in at the same time

BTW its an 01 A6 2.7L, the battery is under the hood

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I was gonna say, whether you try to charge the battery or not, to me its sounds like it's no good. Working at Advance, i've seen all there is to see when it comes to batteries and electrical system failure. A battery may appear to have a good charge, but will fail the load test. Or the battery will not hold a charge at all because the cells are dying out.

To my surprise, my 01 Allroad had the original factory battery still in it...rarely do you ever see a battery last that long!

Yeah I think my store was selling the battery for like $149 (american). In the last year prices have gone up quite a bit.

And just a note to everyone: Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and Walmart all have the same batteries. Even though they are different brands, each company purchases the batteries from the same manufacturer (Johnson Controls).

Quick Reply: A6 2.7L Battery Replacement.