Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you ever considered a Front Mount Intercooler on your A6?
Yes
93.75%
No
6.25%
I already have one.
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

A6 2.7T Front Mount Intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up A6 2.7T Front Mount Intercooler!

JHM Motorsports & JHM Tuning have recently released their Front Mount Intercooler kit for 2000-2004 A6's. The kit has been available for a short time for the B5 S4 but after some testing, it has been found that the front mount fits the A6 just as well or even better. I personally tested the intercooler for JHM on my 01 A6 2.7T and I found that it fits PERFECTLY with nearly NO OTHER MODS NEEDED! With the S4, the front bumper must be trimmed and modified a good amount, but in the A6, there is so much clearance in front of the AC Condenser that the intercooler fits with no problems and only a small amount of bumper frame trimming required.

The install is so slick and the FMIC is totally concealed. Keep your A6 Sleeper under the radar. I would recommend this kit to EVERY 2.7T driver. Whether you're running the stock turbos or planning to or have already upgraded your turbos to KO4's or KO6's, this kit will deliver substantially better cooling than your stock intercoolers or any other aftermarket one on the market.

This kit is now on sale for only $550. With the FMIC core, JHM piping kit, all the brackets and hardware and video instructions. This is the same FMIC core used on JHM's B5 S4 that went 11.1 @ 130mph with full interior.

Check out their site:
http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca...roducts_id=212

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Here are my pictures:
http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/q...i%20A6%20FMIC/

If you have install questions, PM or just respond to the thread, especially if you think it would be beneficial to everyone else.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails A6 2.7T Front Mount Intercooler!-dscn0917.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

That is a sweet looking kit. Fits way better on the A6 than on the S4.

This is my favorite pic.

You can't even see it at the right angle. Imagine if you painted it black. That would be super stealth status.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Did re-install your aux fan? Does the kit allow you to? I think that it would be necessary to aid in providing the proper cooling to the condenser coil when using your A/C.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM

question: how long does the install take?
comment: wash the car before you take a final promo picture.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Coors
Did re-install your aux fan? Does the kit allow you to? I think that it would be necessary to aid in providing the proper cooling to the condenser coil when using your A/C.
It will work ok without it if you are idling with the A/C on in ambient temps below 95f but the best bet is to buy and install the optional fan kit and wire it like I suggest in my video. That way the fan will kick on with the A/C and or temp above 193f. So it saves horsepower since you won't have a mechanical fan running when running the car hard with the A/C off.

But it may be a pain to try to make it fit, I don't think it will properly. That is exactly why we offer the fan kit for those who are concerned about this.

That is how I do all them out here in CA. Put a Electric Fan kit and wire it properly to automatically come on.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Install Time

Originally Posted by cbock
question: how long does the install take?
comment: wash the car before you take a final promo picture.
This was my first really extensive mod. I had never torn down my A6 but with the help of JHM's DVD and their another DIY for a bi-pipe replacement, it made it pretty simple. Start to finish, I spent a full day, (~10 hours), installing the new intercooler and high flow electric fan kit. If you don't put in the new fan then it wouldn't take more than 2-3 hours because you don't have to remove the radiator or ac condenser, but I would suggest adding the newer electric fan for added performance.

Comment: That's not my A6, I would have washed mine for sure, but after 10 hours, that's the last thing on your mind. haha

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

With the factory bumper on the A6, how much of the intercooler is blocked by the bumper?

I am considering this kit but i don't want to have cooling issues.
thanks.