Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?

Seems one could get either car from 2002-04 for similar $. The Audi is slightly more luxurious and should get better mileage; the W8 has a 30 hp advantage, more torque andpotentially a stronger drivetrain?

Comments on the differences, and which direction to go? Thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?

Audi's AWD quattro (VW has similar 4motion drive system too, but not yet proven and respected as Audi). Don't you think with VW, you will always feel dissatisfiedthat you never got the best and settled for something less?Audi is better any day, this is what most guys here will tell you. However, ppl in VW forums will tell you something obvious. The mileage is not that too great in 2.7 either, it is 500Lbs heavier than BMW 5 series, and almost 350 Lbs than Merc C class, but then, you get the feel of a real German masterpiece, that is built like a tank.

My 2c - Go for Audi!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

a tank with problems!! however the passat w8 also has reliability issues. Both are headaches to maintain.. both have high gas mileage. I like the interiors of both... fully loaded passat GLX's are nearly identical to the interiors of the A4.for quick acceleration & speed the w8 is a definite sleeper car. but so is a chipped 2.7T!.. but atextra cost. Ultimately, the passat is wayy more agile... as nocturnal said the A6 is more of a powertank.

As always, you should drive both and see which one clicks. I still can't decide which is why i own both a passat and an A6 and use the passat for city driving and the A6 for my long-a** commutes... the A6 shines on the highway!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

I say both are a great buy. I say buy the one that seems to be in better condition when your ready to buy.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

VW has similar 4motion drive system too, but not yet proven and respected as Audi
Its the same stuff. If you took a picture of the bottom of a passat and the bottom of an a6 its pretty hard to tell the difference.

In any case i would still go with the audi. Passats dont handle that well. The w8 engine is rare which can lead to another problem. Parts availability. Expect days to weeks for parts for that engine. Most of the stuff for the 2.7 is always in stock. That 30 hp is easily overcome by a chip that isnt really that expensive.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:37 PM

I traded in my 2004 W8 for a 2004 2.7t S-line, so I think I can speak to your question with a unique perspective. Both are fine cars. Both have well-appointed interiors. The main reasons I went with the Audi had more to do with practicality and "fun-to-drive" quotient. The W8, for example, has a very shallow trunk due to the AWD system, and the back seat does not fold forward, as is the case with the 2.7t, and this limits trunk usability. In terms of handling, the 2.7 is much more agile. The S-line suspension has a more firm ride, but that's fine, as the W8 always seemed to be front heavy and leaned way too much around curves. The W8, although having greater stock horsepower, often felt as though it was laboring to get things moving. The 2.7 stock, I felt, was much more satisfying in terms of acceleration and overall balance of ride, control, and driver feedback. Once I chipped the stock, therewas no comparison between the two, as the Audi became much more aggressive than the W8 in all portions of the powerband. The Audi is much more a driver's car whereas the W8, although very well made, is more comfortable not being pushed to performance limits. So your choice comes down to what you value more in a car. The W8 is a well-mannered car on the road. But if you are more sports minded, and everything else is pretty much equal, you won't go wrong with the 2.7.

My two cents...

prid60

Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

2.7 all the way; I own a manual transmission, and if your driving style is "sprited" this car will exceed your demands.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

This is like the 4.2 vs the 2.7T thread... Depends on what you are looking for.

Personally, I never owned the W8 but test drove one and it felt disappintingly slow for a 8cyl and the chassis is not up to the power or to what I put my 2.7t through, even though the 2.7T stock doe snot even handle that well, it dives and rolls too. The passat is worse but it is comfortable driver everyday on all roads and at most speeds. it just does not inspire sportiness and has little mod potential. I also agree with the above: The W8 like the 2.7T has its own headaches, heck, VW in general had reliability issues and their service is horrible. It'll also be expenesive to maintain and harder to find parts for. I also think the old body Passat is not a good looking car, not bad nut no inspiring, just a bit bland IMO! The 02-04 Audis have a unique style whether one likes it or not and I find them more pleasant to drive in a spiritied manner in addition to the fact they are great HWY cars.
I am NOT saying the passat is a bad car at all, but IF I HAD TO CHOOSE b/w the two, I would pick the Audi 2.7t whether you'll mod it or not.. but if you mod it especially.
If you are not a big mods fan, get a 2.7T and some very basic but affordable big bang for the buck mods...
- APR Chip 93 oct ($500-600) and you'll get 320hp and 380lbs TQ
- N710Dvs and SMACO TBB for reliability ($140) plus labor
- H Sport Sway bars (UNreal handling improvement, dramatically reduces body roll and dive) $300-400? plus labor (2-3 hrs?)
- SS brake lines $130 plus labor
- Then NEWSOUTH PowerGasket for $70 and 3 hrs labor, or NO labor if done when changing Auxiliary water pump

You don;t have to do anything else, you can but just these basic changes will give you a brand new car than can challenge many sport cars.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

Just comparing engines, I would add one more comment.

The W8 is a much newer engine design, you won't get as much help if you are planning on doing things yourself. The 2.7T on the otherhand has many users and you will have a great deal of advice easily available. If you are only planning to stick to the dealership and not tinker with your car, go with the W8. Otherwise, the 2.7T would be the engine of choice.

For those of you who like to know more about engines, this is a nice article:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc..._packaging.htm

Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

I have a line on a 2001 A6 2.7T with 31K miles for $12-13K. Seems like a no brainer but I'm concerned that this year is less reliable than later years.

Then again, at the price, seems like I might be able to take a little risk.

Anything in particular to look for on the 01?

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T or VW Passat W8?