Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2 Quattro Turbocharging

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Default A6 4.2 Quattro Turbocharging

Greetings,
My uncle owns an A6 with an A8 engine, and he was wondering how much it would cost to twin-turbo charge it, and also, what shops would do it in the bay area. Thanks a ton for any help! Take care.

-Joe

Old 07-11-2004, 05:23 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 4.2 Quattro Turbocharging

Wow!!
More than would be reasonable.
It would be like making an RS6 out of the A6 - way more money than what would make sense.
Better to go and buy the RS6 directly.

Old 07-11-2004, 08:07 AM

Well, he got it 1 year old for 30k, around 25 k miles. My best friends dad is a used car dealer, so he hooked him up. Chances are very slim that he would go through with it, but could you humor me and give me a rough estimate? Thanx

Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Hard to say since the parts aren't available in the States.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would cost over 15K just for all the correct parts - imported parts and the necessary tax and shipping could make it very expensive. Then you would have to find someone with the tech knowledge to do the job, which could amount to several hours of labor. As an example, the S4 to RS4 conversion takes about thirty (30) hours!!

Furthermore, I don't know if the 4.2 is "turbo ready" so this type of conversion would not be an easy mod. It may require further work beyond simple install labor. The engine bay may not be suitably sized for the additional plumbing. This cutting and reinforcing may cause another hike in costs.

Lastly, it will require additional support modification to accomodate the additional power/boost. A performance clutch and flywheel and some changes in brakes and suspension would be necessary to make the conversion sensible.

As I said, this would be a project of enormity that may preclude the sensibility of doing it at all.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM

Make more sense to supercharge the monster instead of buying two turbo units and trying to tune two banks and build up two custom exhaust headers. You'll be selling the ranch in no time. Get a no B.S. supercharger, intercooler, extractors, cool fuel rails, sports exhaust and get a drag shop to tune it. Aftermarket programmable computer will give you plenty of programming flexibility. The drag boys will give you advice on correct fuel pump, boost, supercharger brands, pulley configs etc.

Where exactly did your uncle think the twin turbos were going to fit? Pretty tight in there, it can be done (RS6 etc) but there are cheaper ways to get some serious bang (driveable)for your buck.

Hope this helps, keep us all posted!

Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: EZ Boy

Make more sense to supercharge the monster instead of buying two turbo units and trying to tune two banks and build up two custom exhaust headers. You'll be selling the ranch in no time....
Well said EZ Boy.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:08 AM

if youre interested i think i saw a supercharger for a 4.2 on ebay at one point...so if you could find someone to install it

Old 12-06-2006, 12:14 PM

Please e-mail me at geissr7@hotmail.com if anyone finds a supercharger for an a6 4.2 i have a 2000 a6 4.2 and am really looking to supercharge it. i e-mailed paxton superchargers about there NOVI series but havent got a response back yet

Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

PES tuning (pes-tuning.com) is currently develpoing a supercharger for 200-2006 audi 4.2 A6's. it will be in production in the spring of '07 you'll be looking at about 450HP

Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

450hp..?? What is the max HP the existing drivetrain/tranny/flywheel can handle? How does this tax the motor? I am interested as well seeing that this is the only real performance MOD for a 4.2 with substantial gains. That kind of HP I would think that suspension and brake MODS would be common sense...Anybody here actually install one of these things? I know guys that do it on their 540 I's but never seen one on an A6.

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 Quattro Turbocharging