Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2 rough starts and limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 4.2 rough starts and limp mode

I'm experiencing issues and no specific codes to go with it.

Starts went from near instant fire up to several seconds of cranking and a stumbling idle that struggles to get to a normal idle speed. This is sporadic.

Now, I'm experiencing the car go in to limp mode every few starts. Car will start and idle at about 1200 rpm (high) and not settle down to a typical idle. When put in to drive, its obviously in limp mode. Whether in drive or park, you cannot rev the engine.

If I shut the car off and restart, typically it is fine and the limp mode is gone.

I'm trying to associate this with something? Timing belt ready to fail, fuel delivery problems, other?

When it starts an normal mode, it runs like a bat out of hell. Any educated guesses. When I can get it to throw a code, I'll update, but so far I'm not getting codes.

Any educated guesses?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 AM
1st Gear
Default my 04 4.2L is doing almost the same thing.

the car would start but when i hit (normally) gas rpm doesn't want to move and then the car would die. start again hit gas die, start again rev engine and it work finea few day. no mil or code. then happen again rev engine turn off let it sit for two day. start again was fine went to snowboarding (2 hrs drive) same thing happen got struck going down the mountain for an hour. start engine hit gas die, start again let idle after 2 min it die. everytime i start the engine and try to rev it, it die. after an hour of trying finally get to rev it and made it all the way home. got mil only because i unplug MAF that kick up 3 other code p2234 p2414 p2415.

next day clear code start engine drive around block was fine feel a lil power lost
but it did that from the 1st die out. anyway came to find out that my pcv valve was humming when i hold it no humming. call audi ask if humming mornal couldn't tell me. order new pcv will put it on when i get it and hopefully it work. i am thinking u might have same problem. you could test it. youtube.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Certified

One easy way to check if the valve is bad is to try & removed the oil cap with the engine running. If it is difficult to remove like there is vacuum holding it the valve is probably bad.
BTW the valve should be listed as a crankcase vent valve.

Mike

Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks M5S5 with my engine off I have a hard time taking cap off .it was struck the cap rubber Hawley to struck to engine paint. Start car after come out easy. PCV still humming, can hear it 15' away louder than engine noise. Waiting for new one will replace.