Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2L vs Mystery Audi Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 4.2L vs Mystery Audi Coupe

Ok no guy likes to admit defeat. But I have to tell this story: It was this past Valentines Day at about 2am. My girlfriend and I had just seen the new Friday the 13th remake (not too bad). I'm on I-95S in the speed lane doing about 80 mph when some dude comes creeping up behind me. He didn't speed up so I didn't think much of him until after like after 2 miles this dude is still like a cars length in back of me; late at night; and no traffic. At this point I'm dying to stretch this dude because up to this point I was foolish enough to think that my '05 A6 4.2L was hot ****. However my girlfriend had been in a bad auto wreck a couple years back so the last thing I want to do is cause her to have a panic attack. After like 1 more mile of this dude damn near drafting me I'm dying to see what he can do, so I begin to floor it (I wasn't even in Sport Mode, just regular Auto) and to my surprise this guy kept up every step. I'm doing 120mph at this point and I'm approaching a car in each lane, but they somewhat staggered; but with some minor weaving I can easily get around them.

The MINUTE I signal my blinker to change lanes, this dude behind me does the same, only he cruises right by me and passes me while I'm doing about 123ish mph (he kinda had to drive in part of an exit ramp to bypass me; so I didn't want to pursue because he threw off my timing to weave thru the cars). Since that part of Jersey was dark I couldn't make out the exact model of the Audi, but it was a coupe and from the design of the headlights it was a very recent model. I'm guessing S5 given the EASE at which he over took me while I'm doing 120 mph. Needless to say that sorta brought me back down to earth... But the dude had a lot of class because he didn't 'blink' me (throw on his hazards) when he sped off. He just disappearred. So it was cool as heck from one standpoint, but on the other hand, I had my girl sitting right next to me. It's a good thing she doesn't know much about what went on; as far as she knows my foot just got heavy for a few minutes.

See, sore losers do exist.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Sore loser you are when embracing a tree, or when totaling your car.
IF you learned a lesson from this, then you should consider yourself a "winner".
Good thing the impromptu race ended with just a bruised ego.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

Yeah my ego was bruised for a few days... C'mon chefro, I'm sure you can relate to the thrill-seeking, adrenaline rush that going above 100 mph gives. Trust me I'm not like Charlie Sheen in The Wraith, seeking out victims. I just like to open'er up a bit under 'safe' conditions (I know, oxymoron there).

Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, I can definitely relate to the thrill-seeking alter ego in me, but the reality of the "fenced-in" society we live in (from a speed limit perspective) slaps him upside the head when the foot gets a little heavy on the accelerator.
Don't think for a second that I'm some sort of a Benjamin Button...

However, rather than being hit with a hefty speed fine for being "stupid" a few minutes, I prefer to take that alter ego to entertainment parks come summer, and let him dump all that pentup speed rage on the poor rollercoasters. Of course, I keep my fingers crossed for him during the whole ride, and hope that the structural integrity of the whole place withstands that need for speed without any unforseen accidents.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Good story! I wonder what the guy in the other Audi was thinking haha.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

Couldnt you tell what model it was from the tail lights after he blew you away

Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear

You sure it wasn't an UrQ?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Very funny G Man, but did I mention in the story about it being dark? That dark on a highway doing well over 100mph I didn't have time to roll down my tinted windows, peer out the window, squinting from the speed, and high beaming the dudes trunk area.

Never heard of a UrQ.. guess that's more homework for me.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

who needs speed im good in my 98 2.8 a6
im going 0-60 in like 9 seconds flat :-(

Old 02-28-2009, 05:06 AM
2nd Gear

Rome,

You should have thrown the girl out of the car to lessen the weight. With a 120 pounds less you may have been able to keep up.

Quick Reply: A6 4.2L vs Mystery Audi Coupe