AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   A6 Buying Advice? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/a6-buying-advice-169322/)

hardey 05-22-2011 07:04 PM

A6 Buying Advice?

I'm currently driving a 2000 BMW 528i 5-speed/sport package, with over 220,000 miles on the clock. The 528 has been a great car, but I'm getting tired of the sport suspension and the harsher ride, noise, feeling every joint in the pavement, etc. I've been a regular reader of the Tech Talk column in the BMWCCA magazine, and it appears that the newer model BMW's have developed a reputation for difficult and much more expensive maintenance requirements. I'm thinking seriously about replacing it with an Audi A6 this fall. Might look for a used 2008-2010 or maybe buy new.

Is there a resource on this web site that gives some background on this topic - how to live with an A6 and what its potential maintenance and operation strengths and weaknesses might be? Are maintenance manuals available for the recent A6's so I can do some of my own minor work?

Thanks.

bob martin 05-23-2011 07:08 AM

Try Consumer's Reports. Just look at the relative ranking of the A6. Dead last. You have been warned!

Bob

hardey 05-23-2011 09:07 AM

Bob, do you own an A6?

02A6Beau 05-23-2011 11:42 AM

"reputation for difficult and expensive maintenance"

pretty much any car in this class, be it a bimmer, a merc or an audi is going to have this issue.

this and other audi forums are pretty good if you are handy with a wrench and have a penchant for DIY.

if you are looking for something more "hassel free" get one of those disposable jap econoboxes. When it has a problem just throw it out and get a new one.

bigdadi 05-23-2011 03:40 PM

All used cars, not only A6, have potential of big problems depending if the former owners abuse it or not.

The best advice I can give is
AA Test drive it yourself, if satified goto BB
BB Find an Audi specialized indipendent garage to have pre-purchase inspection (+- 80.00) before negotiating the price or any further decision after you saw the report of how clean the car is, and any big ticket items to take care of.

ppgoal 05-23-2011 05:59 PM

Like your BMW, Audis have a lot of accessories, features, etc that can fail over time. I believe the A6 has been showing better reliability in recent years, but it still cannot touch the cheap or expensive Jap cars. So what. I like the lines of my A6 and I enjoy the sportiness. I don't see that in any of the other cars, except maybe the Acura sports sedans. I take good care of my A6, have all the maintenance done religiously by a good indie shop, and have 187k on the clock. Major repairs: alternator, clutch and flywheel, control arms on one side. On the third set of Pirellis, just finished the second TB and second rotors/pads. Runs great, although turbos are leaking slightly and may need replacement in the next year or so (and that is big $$$). If I was in the market for a newer Audi, I'd probably be looking closely at the S4 with the 3.0 s/c in another year or so -- first year was 2010 I believe.

hardey 05-23-2011 07:24 PM

Thanks to all for the ongoing input. I too like the lines of the A6 and the quiet ride, better rear seat legroom. Have had a good experience with the wife's 2002 TT Turbo Quattro Roadster, but only 33,000 miles on it. May wait to see what the front of the 2012 A6 looks like before making a decision.

chefro 05-24-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by hardey (Post 1313443)
I'm currently driving a 2000 BMW 528i 5-speed/sport package, with over 220,000 miles on the clock. The 528 has been a great car, but I'm getting tired of the sport suspension and the harsher ride, noise, feeling every joint in the pavement, etc.

- Great car
- You know exactly what's in it
I know it's in our nature to grow bored or tired of our cars after a while...we always want something else...
Have you ever considered just replacing the sport-tuned suspension with something else more forgiving?
Unless you want to get into a 2008+ yr model with not so many miles on it, it's like trading a still working hard donkey for probably a mule.
However, nothing beats the enjoyment of not knowing what you buy and wrenching on it while still emptying the dowry chest.

hardey 05-24-2011 07:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Chefro!

I hadn't thought about curing the perceived ills of the 528. But the clutch has about 125,000 miles on it, will be needing to be replaced soon at a cost of around $1,200. The alternator, A/C compressor, starter and P/S pump are all original and I can't imagine them going 300,000 miles without replacement. That's got to be worth $800 each at BMW prices - so another $3,200. So to face $5,500 in foreseeable maintenance over the next 75,000 miles, it makes it tough to add another $4,000 in suspension work to calm down the car's road manners. So I ponder and consider the options. Is it worth investing $7,500 in a car that's worth about $3,500 on the market? (But still fits like a favorite pair of shoes.)

chefro 05-24-2011 11:17 AM

Well, ALL the prices you listed are at the stealership and it sounds like you don't do much work on your car.
In this case, I do apologise for my suggestion: Hell I either wouldn't inject $ 7500 in a car worth half of that, no matter if the basting in the injection would made it look and run like a royal turkey.
If my name was Jay Leno :) on the other hand and money was no impeding object, then ....