Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Cabin filter replacement- how to

Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 Cabin filter replacement- how to

Does anyone know how to replace the cabin air filter in the A6? A picture would be helpful as well.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Default RE: A6 Cabin filter replacement- how to

ORIGINAL: murfaudi
Does anyone know how to replace the cabin air filter in the A6? A picture would be helpful as well.
Hey Murf

I don't have a DIY for the C5, but it is very similar to this one: http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5/Pollen_Filter.pdfbut there is no bolts or screws that need removing.

I took some pictures (not very good) but hopefully they would help.
Step One is to pull off the rubber molding that holds down that cowl cover: http://www.vaglinks.com/Pics/Audi/C5_CabinFilter_1.jpg
Step Two is to pull the cowl cover forward to remove it: http://www.vaglinks.com/Pics/Audi/C5_CabinFilter_2.jpg
Step Three release the cabin filter clip and replace filter: http://www.vaglinks.com/Pics/Audi/C5_CabinFilter_3.jpg

Hope that helps

Cheers
Massboykie

Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

very easy to do. If you buy your filter at advance auto parts I know that it comes with a picture diagram and instructions. On the instructions it says difficulty is 'very easy' and install time is 'less than 5 minutes'. Pull the rubber that is holding the plastic cover on that goes around the battery at the back of the engine bay. You will then see the cabin filter on the passenger side. Just simply pop it out and install the new one. Make sure your new one is installed with the air flow arrows pointing the right direction so you get adaquate air flow.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Thank you. I have a feeling that the Valvoline shop that put the thing in did it incorrectly. I got some water in the passenger footwell after one of these huge rains recently. I suspect it is coming through the ventilation somehow.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

I was able to access the filter, however, it does not fit he tray and is about an inch too narrow and is a tight fit front to back. I would guess it is the wrong filter. Also, I notice the plastic cowling that goes from the base of the windshield and inot the engine compartment (the cover with the battery cover incorporated into it) is pulled away from the windshield on the passenger side. It seems to be adhered to the driver's side. Is this thing supposed to be fastened down? If so, with what? Thanks again for any knowledge in this area.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Deff had that whole water issue too! flooded my Audi, I was pissed. Had to change the CAB filter, and had the shop blow out my drainage plugs.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

The above mentioned water in the foot well is not from the cabin filter being installed incorrectly. It's from the drain under the battery being clogged. There's even a recall for this.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Thank you catdog. I will look into this.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by murfaudi
Thank you catdog. I will look into this.
Posting for posterity...

I am having the same problem. The drains are clear. I pour water on the windshield, it runs under the trim piece and into the cabin air filter, then into the cabin itself.

No drain issue. I'm having my windshield guy look at the trim piece tomorrow. Clip on the right side to hold it down is missing. Center and left clips are there, trim piece is tight to the windshield on that side...loose on the right side.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same issue last year shortly after Safelite replaced my windshield. They didn't attach that trim piece properly and thanks to a 3 day rainfall monsoon my car was flooded.
Anyways Safelite's warranty did their job and replaced the entire windshield again with proper attachment of the trim piece this time and covered the 1000$ bill from Audi to take out the carpet, wash it, clean it, dry it and test the TCM for any electrical issues.

So always check that trim piece and the drainage holes underneath the battery if you have water in your passenger foot well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 Cabin filter replacement- how to