Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 CEL Secondary Air System

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 CEL Secondary Air System

Hey guys,

I know this appears to be common and there are many posts about this on the forums, but my question hasn't really been addressed.

I am getting a CEL that reads Secondary Air Injection Flow Incorrect (or similar). The local German Master Tech shop told me that I have buildup somewhere inside something up in my heads, and that to fix it, they will have to take off the heads and everything and that it would be like 16 hours of labor at 79 bucks an hour, not including parts. I have read on the forums that the most common cause of this problem is exhaust leakage into the secondary air pump.... is this true? Does the shop know what they are talking about or are they just trying to screw me? I am a college student and cannot afford 1600 bucks.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Default RE: A6 CEL Secondary Air System

never heard so much rubbish in my life (somethings blocked in the AIR system and you have to remove both heads to clean it out), they are really taking the Peeeeee now get the codes and post them here its probably something very simple and they are trying to take your eyes out and the sockets at the same time

Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-10 --- Intermittent

Old 06-11-2006, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear

More likely than not the combi valves on the back of the head are starting to get clogged with carbon. Usuallly removing them and cleaning them will fix the problem. This of course is assuming the pump is operating properly and the valves and their control circuit are opening and there is no leakage in the system.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 PM

I too am getting the SAI fault codes now that winter is here...my CEL reset during the summer. The SAI Pump runs on a cold start, and I've traced the vacuum lines and Air Injection hoses. All are tight with no leaks. I did notice that there is no backpressure at the Pump output port. Is this normal?I'm down to trying to trouble shoot the combi-valves or the pump. Where should I start?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

I get a P0411 CEL on my 97 Audi every few weeks. (reset with VagCom)Since it dosen't return quickly I am looking a either a semi blocked line or one that leaks.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM

its an air line/vacuum problem and probably a break in the AIR system hoses

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM

If I've fixed air line problems with the P0411 trouble code, Would the ECU reset it self when the problem is fixedor do you you have to clear the codes for theservice light to go off?

I think its a clogged combination value.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by VW01AUDI00
If I've fixed air line problems with the P0411 trouble code, Would the ECU reset it self when the problem is fixedor do you you have to clear the codes for theservice light to go off?

I think its a clogged combination value.
What all is involved to clean the combination valve? Are there only 2 on the back of the engine that need to be cleaned? What bolts connect the combination valve?

All hoses replaced, SIA Pump replaced. Need to get rid of the p0411 code.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by copper07
What all is involved to clean the combination valve? Are there only 2 on the back of the engine that need to be cleaned? What bolts connect the combination valve?

All hoses replaced, SIA Pump replaced. Need to get rid of the p0411 code.
First off your mechanic doesn't know ****. 16 hours labor? Is he putting in new turbos while he's at it?

Since your don't have the code for the other bank that rules out a faulty pump. Just change the combi valve on the bank the code points to.

If you don't get this fixed there will be NO Problems at all besides a MIL. The secondary air injection is only on during cold starts and even then it's on for 1 min.

Quick Reply: A6 CEL Secondary Air System