Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Cold air from heaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Default A6 Cold air from heaters

I have an Audi A6 which is blowing cold air when turning over but then will give a little hot when driving! Water levels have been falling but not much! Funny noise from heater matrix in car! Anyone help?

Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 AM
4th Gear

Funny noise??

Usually when the heater blows cool while idling, but gets hotter while driving (higher rpms) either ther water is low, or the heater core is getting plugged.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

or you have air in your system.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear

Try turning the temperature up to "HI". I find that mine does not really blow hot air like I am used to on other vehicles. It may have to do with the auto temperature setting. But once the car is warmed up, settin the individual controls to HI results in lots of hot air. If not, see problems noted above.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
1st Gear
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

first check your temp gauge while running the car and at idle there after to see if the temp turns to drop at idle, if this happens then you thermostat or water pump may be giving way. otherwise you either got air in the system if you recently tempered with the cooling system, or your heater core is going bad. i will wanna hope for air in my system. good luck. if water levels are falling and you hear a funny noise, then you may wanna pay more attention to your water pump for the noise as well

Last edited by kimi; 11-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks very much for all your replies! Just read the post/link from ryuuoh and all the information is within that! Really good guide! Im going to try and get all the air out tonight as didin't lift the header tank last time i did it! Just been to a local garage to work and got a straight "it could be something serious!" Think i will keep to my normal garage back, home so booked in for friday! Will keep you updated!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

When did you last do a full power flush, it cleans the rad and heater then replace the thermostat..not expensive and should be done every 40K or so IMO. Fresh fluid also lubricates the water pump so it's important..plus it get rid of the collective gunk!

Last edited by mystrodo; 12-01-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM

What year Audi A6 do yoy have? Some of the climate control heads have an OBD which may be accessed without any tools. Turn your key to "key on engine off". On the C4 chassis A6, 1996, 1997 (1998 wagon), press and hold down the recirculation button and then press and hold down the recirculation button, until "01c" appears on the climate control head display. Then, release both buttons. Channel 1 is "01c". When in channel 1, pressing the recirculation button will give OBD code "OOo" if there are no problems. A list of OBD codes is in the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual CD.
However, after a repair is made to your heater/AC, you will need VAG-COM to delete the error code. Disconnecting the battery does not work on the climate control head.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default I have the same problem...A6 blows cold air when engine hot.

my A6 doesnt blow hot air. The temp gauge of the engine temp goes all the way to half and it still blows barely warm air. if i drive the car on the high way for a bit the engine temp drops very quick. the heating core hoses are both hot. the flaps work fine, they dont get stuck. Dealer wants around 800 for this fix and they dont even know for sure what it might be. any help? would be very much appreciated. thank you

Quick Reply: A6 Cold air from heaters