Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 coolant leak

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default a6 coolant leak

2002 a6 2.7t with 104k on it, drives fine and is a great car, only one thing like the car can be driven for couple times, and time to time there would be a puddle of coolant under the car, pressure tested it and everything checks out well, also the car doensnt over heat or anything just this puddle of coolant time to time is under the car, it could be all good for couple days and then would get a puddle and then again normal and then a puddle again, i know there is a valce cover gasket leak on it, i was wondering if that would cause this to happen or if anybody else has other ideas

Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear

You'll have to monitor where exactly the puddle is located. I don't know where everything is located in a 2.7 engine, but there are several place that may develop leaks.

1) the rubber O-rings sealing the rear coolant pipe(s) to the back of the cylinder heads. If they wear out, you should be able to see coolant traces on the back of the cylinder heads (It seems the 2.7 engine is cramped, so you may need a mechanic's mirror if you're not able to see down there)

2) the heater "feeder" hose is attached to the line coming from the water pump. As we all know, rubber can wear out over time. Location: somewhere in the back area of the driver side cylinder head. If you locate the rear main coolant pipe, you should be able to feel it.
Or follow down the heater hoses coming through the firewall.

3) The rear side of the thermostat housing (although 2.7 engine may be different than a 2.8) - just an O-ring sealing the coolant pipe in there as well against the hole's walls.

4) Water pump gasket (that's less likely - but you can never know)

5) All (other) coolant hoses.

By the way, the valve cover leak should have nothing in common with the coolant leak.
The worse you get from a valve cover gasket leak is you engine gets slowly covered in oil, and the car should exhibit poor performance (even misfire codes + CEL) especially in humid/rainy weather.