Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 headlight removal / Taillight wiring diagram

Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 headlight removal / Taillight wiring diagram

HI everyone! New here. I drive a 95 mazda millenia as my daily driver and a 95 BMW 850i on the weekends.

My buddy just bought a 2001 4.2 A6, beautiful car, i will be frequenting this site to help him maintain and mod the car. (he is not mechanically inclined) Since it is not in my garage i need to know any troubleshooting before i undertake most projects.

I am installing LED brake and indicators on the rear of the car, they look great but i need to add a couple of resistors to fix the "brake light" message on the dash and fix the "bulb out" fast blinking indicator warning. I have the resistors but need to know which wire is which on the brake light panel which holds the bulbs in the rear. the bulbs secure into the front of the panel and their are six wires coming out the back. A wire diagram or any general audi knowledge here would be helpful.

I am also planning on removing the orange reflector on the headlights so that it looks like the euro spec. Any tricks or tips on removing the healights, i tried searching but had no luck. The headlights are getting chrome-amber bulbs for the indicators so they are invisable during the day!

Thanks for any help, pics of the Audi coming soon, it just got dropped and 20% tint all around.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 headlight removal / Taillight wiring diagram

I have done the clear corners for my A6 4.2, but here is a writeup for when I had them done for my former car (2.7T). This post has a link to another post for describing the headlight removal process without having to remove the front bumper. Tricky, but it can be done!

A6 headlight removal

As for the rear brake wiring, sorry, Bentley manual is at home, so I do not have the info now.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

Thanks alot boston, i knew there would be a trick, that is a good write up.

I need to find the brake light color codes first, i have leds to go in the front indicators as well but the resistors needed go on the rear wires. This is a project to be done all at once.

I noticed that in the write-up they were also installing led indicators, dual-filament versions do exist, thats whats going in the A6, i forgot to mention it was a 2.7T. thanks again.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:41 AM
1st Gear

Hello. I just purchased a 01 2.7T with only 35K on it. It is fully loaded minus the nav and parking sensors. With a 4yr unlimited mile warranty it was 20K. Based on the NADA, it seemed like a steal. Still waiting to receive it though(4 very long days and counting). I am very interested in the clear corner mod you are describing. I can't stand the yellow lenses on cars. Getting rid of them cleans up the front so much. Can you answer a couple of ?'s about it for me?

1) How good was the seal after using the heat gun to remove and reseal the housing? Have you had any signs of condensation in the housing?
2) Is the only reason you can't use the heat gun to remove the clear part of the housing with the housing still attached due to 2 of the 4 clips being on the bottom of the housing?
3) I assume that the replacement bulb you used is a mirrored amber when lit. How does it look?
4) One last ignorant question: Xenons right? I have never owned a car with them and am unfamiliar with how they physically differ when viewing them in the engine compartment. I just want to be sure that if I undertake this that the steps you and nene have described are what I am to expect when I try.

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

mddowlan...

(1)- as long as you reheat the seal it will hold out the moisture, i have done this mod on many cars in the past and have never had that problem. You can even put your entire headlight in the oven at a low temp for 10 min "once it is together" and that will seal up everything.

(2)- The glue is very hard when at room temp or colder, you must use heat after all clips have been removed.

(3)- The mirrored ambers look ok, slightly less output, i prefer LED's but if that is too confusing or costly for you go with chrome-ambers from autolumination.com or for more output at a highr price go for "diamond coat bulbs" at Solaris bulbs

(4)- I think you mean HID headlights "high intensity discharge". the bulbs unplug just like any other, just be shure to never touch the glass of the bulb, it may explode later from the heat your hand oil creates as an insulator on the glass. Just use the heat gun and leave the bulbs in. If you put the headlight in the oven you should take the bulb out.

Now my turn. Hey you haven't got your car yet? did you buy it from a dealer? do me a favor and call whoever you bought it from and ask them to do you one last favor before you never see them again, i assume they have a workshop manual for Audi's.
I need color codes for the six wires which make up the rear taillights. NO prob if you cant get it, Someone around here has to have one of those "bently" manuals....HELP!