Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Money pit - Never again

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down A6 - Money pit - Never again

As you can see by my name FixOrRepairDaily, Ford does not even come close to an audi for a piece of crap moneypit. You may love your Audi , God bless you, but i will never get another Audi if someone gave it to me.

I bought an 99 A6 2.8 Avant in 2006 with 51K on it and it now has 99.5K on it and i hope to unload this piece of **** before it hits 100k. CEL comes on every month with another expensive problem (TRANNY, CAT, O2 sensor.) Car leaks, door handles stop working, rear hatch wont open, grills fall off fog lights if you tap a curb, etc, etc.)

I have worked on my past cars (67Mustang, Bronco II, etc.) and I am not a professional mechanic, but those cars were a pleasure to work on. These Audi's are over engineered to the point that the sensor goes bad rather than the part it is supposed to monitor. The parts are overpriced ( how come a similar VW part is so much cheaper) and the dealer mechanics act like they should work for NASA ( and get paid that way)

If you like an Audi, buy it new and trade it in before the warrenty expires. ( better have a second car because it will be in the shop alot.)

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER BUY A USED AUDI without a warrenty ( EXCEPT FOR THE STUPID DEALER THAT BUYS MY PIECE OF **** MONEYPIT when i trade it in.)

BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

LMAO, hope this doesnt happen to my 05

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FixOrRepairDaily
As you can see by my name FixOrRepairDaily, Ford does not even come close to an audi for a piece of crap moneypit. You may love your Audi , God bless you, but i will never get another Audi if someone gave it to me.

I bought an 99 A6 2.8 Avant in 2006 with 51K on it and it now has 99.5K on it and i hope to unload this piece of **** before it hits 100k. CEL comes on every month with another expensive problem (TRANNY, CAT, O2 sensor.) Car leaks, door handles stop working, rear hatch wont open, grills fall off fog lights if you tap a curb, etc, etc.)

I have worked on my past cars (67Mustang, Bronco II, etc.) and I am not a professional mechanic, but those cars were a pleasure to work on. These Audi's are over engineered to the point that the sensor goes bad rather than the part it is supposed to monitor. The parts are overpriced ( how come a similar VW part is so much cheaper) and the dealer mechanics act like they should work for NASA ( and get paid that way)

If you like an Audi, buy it new and trade it in before the warrenty expires. ( better have a second car because it will be in the shop alot.)

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER BUY A USED AUDI without a warrenty ( EXCEPT FOR THE STUPID DEALER THAT BUYS MY PIECE OF **** MONEYPIT when i trade it in.)

BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!
Should've got a car with dealer maintenance history. I got my 00 2.7T with all the records from the dealer at 108K, it's at 126K now and I have yet to see anything break.

Also I generally laugh at people that buy used luxury cars and can't fix it themselves... that's up there with buying 80s ferraris and still have ferrari dealer service it .

Last edited by halik; 10-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM

the stealership sux, thats why there are great forums like this one to help with DIY!

sorry about your bad experience

Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

You shouldn't hold back your anger. Go on and let it out. You'll feel better.

153k and only replaced the clutch, flywheel, headlight washers, and front axle boots.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

LOL Yep you made a big mistake!!

I usually purchase Audis with 150 to 180 K on them - do a little work like timing belt and brakes. Then drive them to 250 to 350 K with only a few added things.

You obviously deserve to drive a Ford but you might be happy with a Yugo.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Your rant may be better received on the BMW forums, I would guess that most of us are here because we love our Audi's. I have had many major repairs on my 01 2.7t, but I bought a used luxury auto, I expected that since I didn't pay the new car premium, I would have some costly repairs to make in the future. Now that I am past the costly repairs, things are smooth sailing.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear

I'm sorry if this comes across as arrogant or dismissive, but whatever.

You clearly have never owned an luxury European car before, because if you had, you would know this is just what to expect.

Welcome to the world of 40k cars and their maintenance. I suggest you look at getting something like a Camry, 6, Accord, or even a Malibu. They are all great cars and will last you a lifetime with constant neglect. European cars on the other hand require constant upkeep.

But, now you know.

Best of luck. Seriously test drive a Mazda 6.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
2nd Gear

I heard the were a PITA but you just can't imagine how much until you own one. Odd though how it seems one car has troubles in one area and the identical car has troubles in another. I must say though the guys pushing 300K are doing something right and should take all the credit for the cars running well.

Go Ahead and have yourselves a pint!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, I feel a little guilty, I wasn't completely honest with you. My first European car was a 1988 Saab 9000 turbo. I absolutely loved that car, and it began my love affair with saabs.

But it raped me, and it raped me good. I just didn't know better back then. I was young, probably 19 or 20 and had owned too many American/Japanese cars. But I learned, and I learned with my wallet.

I left Saab after owning maybe 3 or 4 of them and moved onto Volvo's. Now I own an Audi. My partner has driven BMW's for maybe 13 years or so. He owned Saab's before that. I can tell you one thing for sure, all European cars are the same, some of course are a little better than others, but they're all pretty much the same.

Leave the Audi brand if you want. I could care less, but just don't expect a Mercedes to be much better. When you pay 40+ to get your foot in the door for a car, you have to expect large repair bills.

Most of us didn't buy these cars new. But the people that did, paid ~1000k dollars a month for their 44k dollar 4% interest rate A6 for 4 years. If you can afford to pay that, I don't think you really care about the maintenance.

Audi built the car to be a fantastic car for people that can afford to maintain them. You said they were over engineered. That's true, but that's what makes a quality luxury European car, a quality luxury European car. If it wasn't, wouldn't it just be an Opel or Chevy, not bad, but certainly nothing special.

Last edited by Jeffla; 10-30-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: A6 - Money pit - Never again