Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 need to repair alot

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Default a6 need to repair alot

need to fix alot on my 2001 audi a6 2.7t (recently bought it) but is ok i like the ride just need help.... first of i think i need new suspension my car, it shakes alot and it sits very veerrrrrrrry low, most of the time when i go over a bump it feels like its hitting something on my car its crazy, dont want to break anything.. so trying to figure out how much a suspension job will cost.....

And does anyone know how to take the safe mode of my radio? also need know if anyone knows of good website where i can find audi parts but for cheaper also good and reliable....i need to buy the fog light grill... and how about a website where i can print out my audi manual.... anything will help thanks..

and if there's anyone in ga and can rec. a indi. store near me who specialize in audi but dont try to charge you like a dealership then send me a number thanks....

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM
3rd Gear

Prepare to spend money - lots of it.
You are headed for about $3,000 in repair costs - even more if you have an Audi dealer do the work.

Start by getting VagCom so you can read codes etc. and get a manual for your car from Bentley Books. (these will cost you a minimum of $125.00 - with the freebee VagCom and EBay cable)
Quickly make friends with the guys at Force Five, Blauparts, Shokan, etc. because you'll need them.
Find a good INDY close to you home and make sure he knows you cause sooner or later your vehicle will be towed there.

Almost forgot -- You have seen the last of a Wallet with money in it - Kiss the money good by!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Prepare to spend money - lots of it.
You are headed for about $3,000 in repair costs - even more if you have an Audi dealer do the work.

Start by getting VagCom so you can read codes etc. and get a manual for your car from Bentley Books. (these will cost you a minimum of $125.00 - with the freebee VagCom and EBay cable)
Quickly make friends with the guys at Force Five, Blauparts, Shokan, etc. because you'll need them.
Find a good INDY close to you home and make sure he knows you cause sooner or later your vehicle will be towed there.

Almost forgot -- You have seen the last of a Wallet with money in it - Kiss the money good by!
Where do you pull such random numbers from? If you're going to say that figure, at least back it up with a breakdown of what is wrong and what you think it's going to cost. You scare so many people away from Audi on these forums, geesh. Not everybody has had as bad as luck as you.

For the OP: you should be able to at least look into the wheel well and see what's going on, maybe you have broken springs? It's happened to me. Just getting the springs replaced is some $200 plus labor, doing the shocks+springs is $400 plus a little more labor, and then a full front-end suspension job will cost around $600-1000 depending on the parts required and the labor will be around the same. So you're honestly looking at a price range of $300-$1800 to get it fixed. Just get it diagnosed by someone, that's almost always the first step.

And i mean, i can't completely disagree with NH_USA, if you aren't going to have the money to be able to fix it you should honestly get a different car.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

It sounds to me like the previous owner may have lowered the suspension. Does it still have the OEM wheels on it? Just get it looked at by someone who is familiar with the car type. It is unlikely that the springs are shot. The shaking is typically out of balance wheels, but could be caused by lowered suspension with its changed geometry. Again, just have it looked at. The radio needs a code and you need to go through the dealer to get it. You might look in the glovebox for it as well, it's on a little tag. As for used parts, someone already mentioned Shokan and Force 5, both will do fine.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 AM

thanks guys so honestly do you think sell it or keep it and try to fix it

Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
Where do you pull such random numbers from? If you're going to say that figure, at least back it up with a breakdown of what is wrong and what you think it's going to cost. You scare so many people away from Audi on these forums, geesh. Not everybody has had as bad as luck as you.

For the OP: you should be able to at least look into the wheel well and see what's going on, maybe you have broken springs? It's happened to me. Just getting the springs replaced is some $200 plus labor, doing the shocks+springs is $400 plus a little more labor, and then a full front-end suspension job will cost around $600-1000 depending on the parts required and the labor will be around the same. So you're honestly looking at a price range of $300-$1800 to get it fixed. Just get it diagnosed by someone, that's almost always the first step.

And i mean, i can't completely disagree with NH_USA, if you aren't going to have the money to be able to fix it you should honestly get a different car.

LOL He just bought the damn thing, he is questioning the suspension, and looking for parts. You quickly identified over 1/2 of the $3K I mentioned and we all know there will be numerous things that show up in the very near future. Just being realistic!

BTW I have not had bad luck with Audi's. My current one has over 250K miles on it and my previous one went 350K. Had numerous Audi's in the family that went over 200K. All it takes is a lot of money..

It is important for these newbees to have a bit of an idea about what they are getting into. Older Audi's are not for the timid when it comes to spending money or getting one's hands dirty.

I laugh at the college kids that wants to spend $5K or even $8K on a "well designed German vehicle" (Audi), and expect to drive it over the next 2-4 years while putting very little into it.

I always say older Audi's that are in good shape are only worth about $3-4 K because it will take anothr $3-4K to keep them going over the next few years unless you do a lot of the work yourself. If you start with a few problems the $3K will get used up in less than 6 months and you will soon be looking to sell the vehicle for $3K.

LOL (See $3K was not a random number - it is based on years of experience.)

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Why don't you see what the suspension problem is and then decide?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear

One option is to take the car to a dealer and say "I am thinking of buying this car and would like a list of the problems and how much they would cost to fix". The dealer will charge $70 - $100 for this service and will give you a detailed list of everything that is wrong. Let us know what they say. Then we can give you better advice. "I have alot of problems" is not enough information.

Bob

Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Someone said the suspension is probably lowered, I agree, it a common enough mod and this car really doesn't sit down all that much stock. A cheaper solution to this problem would be to see if you can get springs from a used a6 from shokan, the sport springs provide a good compromise between comfort and body roll. you might also be in store for new control arms, 500$ for a good set and depending on your wrenching experience it could be tricky to DIY but it is a common thing.

As far as NH says about costs.... ya, he's got an idea. When I bought my a6 I had it shipped and it went through a blizzard on the way over which froze the coolant (WTF right?) cost me 2500$ total to rebuild the coolant system. On the plus side, I know I have a new timing belt and water pump .

The way I offset my costs is I have a secret weapon... a 1981 honda that I got for 300$ which soaks up my city miles. Its already paid for itself in gas and keeps the cost for the expensive oil and parts in the audi down.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

Don't people test drive cars or have a PPI perform before buying them?

Quick Reply: a6 need to repair alot