Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 Power Loss

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and hoping I get some help from you guys.

I have an audi A6 2.5 TDI (year 1999) Manual. I have notice that the car can be sluggish to drive, especially going up a hill, even a slight incline. (It is fine on the flat and going don hill).

So I've narrowed down the behaviour to:
- if the car is travelling up an incline (does not have to be very steep), it refuses to accelerate beyond 50pmh (2500rpm) approximately. This isn't every time but very often though.

- by putting my foot down on the accelerator, the revs do not increase and speed decreases (as I am driving up an incline)

- if I actually try to take my foot off the accelerator, the car usually feels as though it is speeding up a little and the revs increase.

- after the road levels out and accelarate again, everything seems fine, the car easily reaches a high speed.

I've heard of some posts in the past about:

- MAF sensor needing cleaning
- breather filter needing replacing

But I don't know anything about these or how to fix them if they are the reasons for my troubles.

Is this what the problem is?

Can anyone shed any light on this problem for me?

I think this problem has occured to others, but I haven't seen any answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Power Loss

Hi,

Can anyone help with this?

Regards,
Colin

Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

yes, try putting a bottle of techron cleaner in your gas tank next time you fill up.

Also, replace the breather hose....not too hard to do.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I just realize you have a diesel...not sure if Techron will work in a diesel engine. Can anyone attest to this?
also, when was the last time you had the air filter changed out?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

hmm, more things can be wrong.
1, change fuel filter
2, do complet tune up
3, check diesel pump (recommend specialize diesel service to adjust)
4, check diesel injectors (recommend specialize diesel service)
5, check turbo (recommend specialize diesel service)

TDI is realy nice engine, but need more care to keep it work.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Hi there.
They suffer with air flow meter problems-Just dont know how to test them.

But again when was the air,fuel filters changed ,this will make a lot of difference.Are you technically minded,Do you know what your looking at when you look at the engine..If i said to you to crack off each injector to see if its working-does that make sence.
Or the best this you can do and the cheapest-get a tune up man to "plug" into your car and he will tell you straight away whats wrong.It might cost you £40 for him but will save you buying things you dont need for your car.
I am a diesel engineer and i have the 2.5tdi (180bhp) And i tell you they go like stink,so something is wrong.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:13 PM

hi, I bought a A6 2.5 TDI 5 Cyl a few days ago and drove 1500m to south of Spain, at the start of the trip all was fine with plenty of power, then the problem started, the glow plug warning lamp started to flash and the power went down then after a few miles all normal again, then it got worse and worse, didn't rev over 2000rpm so i had to leave it in 6th and light accelerator, then the last 400m started to go like a rocket but very little power at low revs. when the engine is cold (not running for 3-4h) start and revs up fine but after warmed up for a few minutes it struggle to rev up then suddenly reves up to 5000rpm,
all filters were change before i left and i have checked all connections,
the only thing i think it could be logically would be air flow meter (connection off or on no different)
or temperature sensor,
any help is greatly appreciated