Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Subwoofers in Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 Subwoofers in Trunk?

i have a 1998 audi a6 with the bose sound system. in the right compartment in the trunk there is a box with 2 small (subwoofers?) in there. are they even subwoofers? if they are. can i buy any sub and replace the stock one without any hassle?

has anyone does this.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 Subwoofers in Trunk?

Yes, those are the sub woofers. Why are you looking to upgrade? This setup is known for having too much base (muddy) if anything. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info on how to tame it -- including taking advantage of the "hidden equalizer" that is part of the Symphony I.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

i dont have the symphony. i have the concert. does this have a hidden equalizer.

also but if i bought say an infiniti 10" sub would installation be easy because wires are already there.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

Installation would be pretty easy but you would want to buy an amp as well. The stock system will not be able to handle a 10 inch sub. I love my system stock, as it is.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear

I did some research and I don't think the Concert has the hidden equalizer (here's a link to a BUNCH of info on Audi stereos). I also found another link on AudiWorld that has some info that might be relevant for you to go over.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Installation is not really going to be "easy," especially if you intend to put the sub in the same location as the stock subwoofer, which is impossible unless you are good at making fiberglass molds. Your best bet is to disconnect the subwoofer, take the input wires which are high level and feed them to a high level to low level adapter. Take those outputs and connect them to your imput on an aftermarket amplifier with all of the other power wiring etc. and you be set. This is a pain in the *** though.
If I were you I would replace the cheap piece-of-crap head unit with an aftermarket one that has 3 sets of outputs which will let you utilize the stock amps and give you a Subwoofer RCA output. This will indeed make the stock system sound better and will also let you adjust the level of the sub independently of the rest of the system. Before totally replacing the stock system I did this with excellent results.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

i'm surprised you don't like the bose subs...I think they are perfect and have just enough base. plus nothin raddles around. if you put a 10" you goin add unneeded weight to the already heavy A6. I have a friend who used to have dub 6's in his car. they sound really good but the raddle is rediculous (not an audi so i don't know how much it would raddle but subs are heavy.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:55 AM

Anything Bose is garbage. They use psycho-accoustics to make it seem that you are gearing deeper bass than it actually is. How can you get bass out of a enclosure that has 3, 4-inch paper drivers and about 30 watts of power?

I had 2 10W7's in a fiberglass enclosure in my trunk. If you install it right ang get the majority of the bass from the trunk to the Cab The A6 is solid (very little rattles). The only thing that you really have to worry about in that car is setting up a dual battery system to make sure that you don't put extra stress on the ALT, if you are running lots of power.

And also 40 pounds isnt going to make a noticable difference in a car that weighs 4700 pounds.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

I have an Infinity Basslink 10" powered sub. It is really nice, reasonably priced, not a ghetto blaster or obnoxious by any means, just makes all the music sound better. Its nice and out of the way, installation was only $150 USD with a head unit....

Old 05-22-2006, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: houndz

Anything Bose is garbage. They use psycho-accoustics to make it seem that you are gearing deeper bass than it actually is. How can you get bass out of a enclosure that has 3, 4-inch paper drivers and about 30 watts of power?

I had 2 10W7's in a fiberglass enclosure in my trunk. If you install it right ang get the majority of the bass from the trunk to the Cab The A6 is solid (very little rattles). The only thing that you really have to worry about in that car is setting up a dual battery system to make sure that you don't put extra stress on the ALT, if you are running lots of power.

And also 40 pounds isnt going to make a noticable difference in a car that weighs 4700 pounds.
Do you have pics of this enclosure? I am planning on doing one, but want some ideas... thanks

Quick Reply: A6 Subwoofers in Trunk?