Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?

From 60-130 the Audi will hold its own, but it will never recover from the weight disadvantage off the line. Just my opinion. With that said, I would choose to drive the Audi every time. I just would not be trying to turn it into a red lightracer.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo

You have a luxury sport cruiser, not a race car like the STI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaUHa8Pjk08
I have to agree, yes the A6 can/could be fast, but the reality is, it's still a luxury sport car, (it is what it is).If you wanttorace the race cars, go by a race car. Now, I'm talking stock here, The S4 in the video has stock 340hp, so what do you think the STI will do to a A6 with stock 250hp? You get a mod, he gets a mod and the outcome will be the same. Just be happy with what you got, if not get something else.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Tha Abbot

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo

You have a luxury sport cruiser, not a race car like the STI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaUHa8Pjk08
I have to agree, yes the A6 can/could be fast, but the reality is, it's still a luxury sport car, (it is what it is).If you wanttorace the race cars, go by a race car. Now, I'm talking stock here, The S4 in the video has stock 340hp, so what do you think the STI will do to a A6 with stock 250hp? You get a mod, he gets a mod and the outcome will be the same. Just be happy with what you got, if not get something else.
Notice i said a CHIPPED a6 vs a STOCK sti.

not stock for stock. I think that's what everyone is getting mixed up here

Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Tha Abbot
Ok. First of all, the topic clearly states that he has an APR chip (amongst other performance goodies), so he never claimed to want to race an STi with a stock A6. And not only that, but he also says the he's racing a stock STi, so the whole "you get a mod, he get's a mod" argument is a moot point. In this discussion we are talking about a chipped A6 and it's performance versus a stock STi.

That top gear video doesn't prove much. First of all, the S4 DOES catch up and passes the STi right at the end. (the Evolution is long gone) Second of all, the S4 lost MOST of its ground in the beginning half of the sprint, where the Evo and STi have a very significant weight advantage from a dead stop and are 0-60 monsters because of their ability to literally rip off the line. Low weight + high RPMs + AWD = insanely quick launch, which is where the S4 lost most of its ground.

However! (and this is a big however) if TopGear had done an acceleration test from 75-130, the outcome wouldn't have been exactly the same as it was. The S4 still might not edge out the Evolution, but the STi would have been deep fried. I mean the S4 DID catch up to and pass the STi eventually in the off the line run, which just shows that without all of the ground to make up from a launch, it would have embarassed the STi at higher speeds. This is the same situation with an A6. While it doesn't have all of the power of the V8 S4 (~310 hp vs. ~340), it's torque production is much more linear and instantly there because of the twin turbos.

So, I maintain my theory that at high speeds the A6 does have a smidgen of a chance, and even if it did lose, it would be quite a close loss.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 AM

The other thing that makes the top gear bogus is that it's a JDM STi (2.0 not 2.5) So it's not anywhere near an accurate comparison.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tsbpenguin

Ok so i may be purchasing a 00 2.7T 6mt A6 with just over 100k mi on it, (timing belt just done) it's got an APR chip with the 4 options, rs4 clutch, and lightened flywheel. How would i hold up against my friend's bone stock 06 sti? From a roll? How about a dig? I'm talking about car capability because i already know i'm a better driver than he is.
Have you actually driven the car yet? And if so, did you just test drive it or did you drive it like it was yours?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

The other thing that makes the top gear bogus is that it's a JDM STi (2.0 not 2.5) So it's not anywhere near an accurate comparison.
Indeed. I just noticed that he mentions that in the beginning. Good catch.[sm=proof.gif] The STi is a little over-rated anyway, in my opinion. While it is a very fast car, everyone seems to automatically think that it's the king of the streets. Yes, with minor mods it wakes up nicely, but stock it isn't what it's hyped up to be. Fast, but not untouchable.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Tha H.N.I.C

Ok so i may be purchasing a 00 2.7T 6mt A6 with just over 100k mi on it, (timing belt just done) it's got an APR chip with the 4 options, rs4 clutch, and lightened flywheel. How would i hold up against my friend's bone stock 06 sti? From a roll? How about a dig? I'm talking about car capability because i already know i'm a better driver than he is.
Have you actually driven the car yet? And if so, did you just test drive it or did you drive it like it was yours?

I have not driven the specific car but i have driven a chipped a6 6mt. I've also test driven about 3 stock sti's but the thing is i couldnt tell much of a difference so i was hoping the community would shed some light.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Batteries

Indeed. I just noticed that he mentions that in the beginning. Good catch.[sm=proof.gif] The STi is a little over-rated anyway, in my opinion. While it is a very fast car, everyone seems to automatically think that it's the king of the streets. Yes, with minor mods it wakes up nicely, but stock it isn't what it's hyped up to be. Fast, but not untouchable.

The STi has decentmod response. Not great. Nothing compared to an evo or a 2.7t. STi's are nowhere near king of the streets. That title would belong to s4's, cobras, and some evo's in my opionion.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

The STi has decentmod response. Not great. Nothing compared to an evo or a 2.7t. STi's are nowhere near king of the streets. That title would belong to s4's, cobras, and some evo's in my opionion.
This is turning into a two person discussion. Hahah. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Well, if we are talking REAL kings of the streets here. I'd say Evos, B5 S4s, Terminator Cobras (2003-2004), the ever hated/loved Supra, and the rarely found Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. I've been a passenger in a 3000GT with approx. 450-500 horsepower and it was ludicrously fast.

Quick Reply: A6 w/ APR vs. Stock 06 STi?